The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 2:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
where to start? (Read 5276 times)
ray.deng

where to start?
May 26th, 2010, 7:48am

Hi, glad that I could find this website. Basically I'm a new guy to analog circuit design. I think I'm interested in that but I don't have any experience previously (maybe a bit knowledge on CMOS). What I want to know is to have an overview about this domain so that I can plan my learning strategy.  I'm thinking to take some courses next quarter to learn the basic concepts of analog design but I'm afraid this is far from enough. Therefore, it's better that someone can tell me where to start and which direction I should go, such as what books I should read in a particular sequence and what kind of programming language I should know or get familiar with. Please be specific and thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
ray.deng

Re: where to start?
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2010, 6:32am

Nobody say something?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010, 8:15am

This is what your advisor in school ought to tell you. This is a forum that we talked about specific technical issues.

View Profile   IP Logged
mowiehowie

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2010, 8:38am

Baker's book, CMOS - Circuit Design, Layout and Simulation

that's the best kick off

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2010, 11:53am

Read any of the books by Baker, Grey&Meyer, Razavi for the basics.

View Profile   IP Logged
AdrianSN

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2010, 9:40pm

I have a list of books on my website MasteringElectronicsDesign.com under the section "Expand your knowledge".  You can find there books at different levels from beginner to advanced analog designer.  Hope this helps.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2010, 12:18am

And of course there is a pretty comprehensive commented list on this site at http://www.designers-guide.org/Books/ in case you have not found it yet.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2010, 5:18am

Here is another advice:
Start as early as possible with experiments and try to find out how circuits react when you change something (parts values, transistor or opamp properties).
When I say "experiments", I mean: Software experiments - with other words: Circuit simulation. This is a very efficient way to understand how circuits work. There are a lot of different programs available for free in the net. The most popular is PSpice - and for my opinion it is the best for beginners.
Good luck.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2010, 12:36am

You might also want to take a look at LTspice (http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/). It's free, very powerful and has a very active users' group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/. There are many tutorials available, see http://www.google.com/search?q=ltspice+tutorial and the files and links sections of the users' group.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.