The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about the capacitance in MOSFET. (Read 2128 times)
weigiho

Austin
Question about the capacitance in MOSFET.
Jul 12th, 2010, 3:14pm

I simulate a common-source amplifier with a capacitor load CL. Its drain is connected to VDD through an ideal current source. The input freq is high so that I cannot neglect the effect of parasitic capacitance. I am interested in finding the drain voltage. By using DC analysis, I can find all the parameters, such as gm, gds, Cdd, Cdg, Cdb and Cds. I use

vd=vin*gm/(gds+jωCL+jωCdd)

to find vd. My calculated value is 2.3951e-5. But the transient simulation+FFT gives me 1.32131e-5. Why there is a big difference? The possible reason I guess is

(1)Should I use Cdd here? If yes, do I have to consider Miller effect?
(2)There are other parameters, such as Cddbi and Cgdovl. I do not know what they mean so I did not include them at all. Is this the reason for the big difference?

Thanks a lot in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Question about the capacitance in MOSFET.
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2010, 1:48am

Hi,

You seem to have left out the path through Cgd. Maybe that's the reason?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Re: Question about the capacitance in MOSFET.
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2010, 6:27am

Aaron_do
I believe Cdd includes Cdg. Thats not the same as Cgd, I agree but we only need Cdg.

In any case, I have not had great success correlating operating parametes and doing hand analysis on them with the simulated values. The hand analysis is more like a ball-parkish figure.

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.