The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 10:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hspice MULU0 and DELVTO (Read 6336 times)
aspiceq

UK
Hspice MULU0 and DELVTO
Jul 13th, 2010, 1:22am

Hi,
I have seen MULU0 and DELVTO as mos instance line parameters in (Hspice)  BSIM3 models.

e.g.
m1 d g s b ne l= W= M= MULU0= DELVTO= ...

I understand that they are ways to model device variation on an instance by instance basis MULU0 scales the mobility (of effectively the device width) and DELVTO the threshold voltage shift.

My questions are
1. Are these commonly used by modern PDKs? Or is there a better more standard way to model such variation?
2. Are they intended to model statistical variations of hard shifts in parameter?
With statistical variations one would expect a "random walk" effect when the mos multiplier M is greater than zero - so the impact of the values would be reduced by 1/sqrt(M)?
So in other words, are they in any way modified by the value of M present on the device line? Are simulators consistent in how they handle this?
This gets complicated by implicit passing of M (i.e. M scaling entire subckts).

An example demonstrates my point.
we have something like
DELVTO='5m/sqrt(W*L*1e12)'
but should it not be
DELVTO='5m/sqrt(W*L*1e12*[effective M scaling of subckt and device])'

Regards,
Dave Gee
(aspiceq)

View Profile   IP Logged
aLittleKnowledge

Re: Hspice MULU0 and DELVTO
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2010, 3:46am

mulu0 and delvtO are intended to model post-layout mismatch from strain etc.  As these effects are sometimes large, some suppliers include MC for these specifically in post layout simulations.
MC for mulu0 and delvtO is handled in the same way as for any other parameter.

View Profile   IP Logged
aspiceq

UK
Re: Hspice MULU0 and DELVTO
Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2010, 1:38am

> intended to model post-layout mismatch from strain etc.

> MC for mulu0 and delvtO is handled in the same way as for any other parameter.

Many thanks,
Dave.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.