The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 12th, 2024, 3:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF Pnoise Jitter vs Transient Noise Correlation (Read 5803 times)
Count

Singapore
SpectreRF Pnoise Jitter vs Transient Noise Correlation
Jul 22nd, 2010, 7:24am

Hi, I am trying to find out whether the jitter result simulation from pnoise analysis matches with the result given by transient noise analysis.

Before that, I have verified that the transient noise result matches with the noise reported on a small signal ac analysis by trying it out on a simple opamp.

Now comes the interesting part. First, I used pnoise analysis to find the edge-to-edge jitter (Jee) of a chain of inverters driven by a 100MHz clock. My integrated noise bandwidth is from 100kHz to 50MHz. I then increased the number of sideband until there is not much change in Jee. This is what I got as follows:

For no. of harmonics=1, Jee=30fs
For no. of harmonics=640, Jee=60fs

I then ran a transient noise analysis with the following settings:
noisefmin=100kHz, noisefmax=50MHz, stop time=100us. The Jee I got from the waveform is 29.5fs. Does that mean transient noise analysis does not take into account of noise folding effect? I have repeated the experiment with different noise bandwidth and all yielded similar conclusion.

Being a curious little kitty, I then repeated the experiment on VCO and I am even more confused. The oscillating frequency is at 800MHz and I have chosen the noise bandwidth from 100kHz to 10MHz to avoid integrating noise too closed to the carrier. From pnoise analysis, the cycle jitter (Jc) with different no. of cycles (k) is as follows:

k=1, Jc=415fs
k=8000, Jc=50ps

On the other hand, transient noise analysis (with noisefmin=100kHz, noisefmax=10MHz, stop time=100us) gives the following:

k=1, Jc=583fs
k=8000, Jc=278ps

The jitter from transient noise analysis is much more worse than the one reported by pnoise analysis.

Has anyone of you tried the experiment before and please share some of your findings. Thanks!

Count

P.S. I am talking about rms jitter all this while.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Re: SpectreRF Pnoise Jitter vs Transient Noise Correlation
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2010, 11:36pm

Quote:
Now comes the interesting part. First, I used pnoise analysis to find the edge-to-edge jitter (Jee) of a chain of inverters driven by a 100MHz clock.

Are you using Pnoise-jitter analysis ??
At what point of time are you strobing your noise ??
Are you trobing noise at transition time of you signal ??

Quote:
I then ran a transient noise analysis with the following settings:
noisefmin=100kHz, noisefmax=50MHz, stop time=100us. The Jee I got from the waveform is 29.5fs. Does that mean transient noise analysis does not take into account of noise folding effect? I have repeated the experiment with different noise bandwidth and all yielded similar conclusion.

for including effects upto the level of 640x50MHz, are the accuracy settings correct ??
Is the simulator time-step << 1/(640x50MHz) so as to prop noise effects aof required harmonic content ??

Quote:
Being a curious little kitty, I then repeated the experiment on VCO and I am even more confused. The oscillating frequency is at 800MHz and I have chosen the noise bandwidth from 100kHz to 10MHz to avoid integrating noise too closed to the carrier. From pnoise analysis, the cycle jitter (Jc) with different no. of cycles (k) is as follows:

k=1, Jc=415fs
k=8000, Jc=50ps

I assume that Jc values you are obtaining are from the cadence's Direct Plot Form for Spectre / ADE Calculator of Cadence Artist. Find out the formula used to calculate this value ??

Quote:
On the other hand, transient noise analysis (with noisefmin=100kHz, noisefmax=10MHz, stop time=100us) gives the following:

k=1, Jc=583fs
k=8000, Jc=278ps

How are you obtaining this value of Jc ??

Are both values of Jc for tran noise as well as pnoise been obtained from Calculator using the same expression ??

Pls. quote the expression for Jc for k=1, as well as k=8000, if possible.

--
M

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.