The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 9:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADC two step converter (Read 3303 times)
solanojedi

ADC two step converter
Aug 04th, 2010, 9:15am

Hi everybody,
I have to design a model for an ADC two step converter using a block that behaves like the non-linear function of the residue (as on page 5 of http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~mpflynn/teaching/design_contest/winter_2004/presentat... ) in Simulink.

I'm a newbie of Simulink, so I figured to use the block "MATLAB fcn" to define the saw toothed function: in a matlab file .m I can describe the behaviour of the block. For example, if u is the input and out is the output, if I write out=cos(u) at the output I will see the cosine of the input u.
So I simply tried this: I use a ramp, a MATLAB fcn with the function out=cos(u) and then I look at the output with a scope, but what I see is the picture attached. Maybe it's a stupid question but....why?  :(  I should see a cosine...
Thank you very much!

Nicola

Imma22gine.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Re: ADC two step converter
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:09am

As far as I can see your sampling of the output signal is too coarse. You need to set a maximum time step in the simulation setup of Simulink that is a factor of ~5 or more larger than the period of your cosine signal.

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.