The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input Matching in PA (Read 3154 times)
purplewolf

Input Matching in PA
Aug 10th, 2010, 6:44am

I have two claims regarding input matching in PA.

1) The PAE does not  depend on the input matching network , its only the power gain that depends on it. The PAE of a input mismatched PA will be same as the matched one..

2)The input matching s parameters depends on the Ropt --> 50 ohms transformation network and is independent of the harmonic supression network on the output of the device..Since Ropt -->50ohms network is tuned at fo ..

Am i thinking in the right direction?

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Input Matching in PA
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2010, 7:03am

purplewolf wrote on Aug 10th, 2010, 6:44am:
1) The PAE does not  depend on the input matching network , its only the power gain that depends on it. The PAE of a input mismatched PA will be same as the matched one..
Wrong.

purplewolf wrote on Aug 10th, 2010, 6:44am:
2)The input matching s parameters depends on the Ropt --> 50 ohms transformation network and is independent of the harmonic supression network on the output of the device..Since Ropt -->50ohms network is tuned at fo ..
I can't understand what you want to mean.

However I think you are misunderstanding.

Γin and Γout are not independent each other since S12 is not zero.
Also input wave shape is affected by input matching largely and then it affects PAE.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
purplewolf

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2010, 3:15pm

PAE is the difference between the output and input power levels devided by the dc power..the main role of input network is to provide maximum power from soruce to the gate of the device ...The differnce  remains the same even for mismatch at the input and hecne the PAE must remain same..

The output  network of linear PA consists for harmonic filter and load transformation network..At  fo  the parallel harmonic filter is open (or it disappears) and the network   "consists" of device and load  transformation network..So , the s parameters depends on the load transformation network provided the device is not altered..

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2010, 8:46pm

purplewolf wrote on Aug 10th, 2010, 3:15pm:
PAE is the difference between the output and input power levels devided by the dc power..
the main role of input network is to provide maximum power from soruce to the gate of the device ...
The differnce  remains the same even for mismatch at the input and hecne the PAE must remain same..
Not correct.

Higher hamonics are generated in not only output but also input.
Higher hamonins generation in input is very dependent on input matching network characteristics.

Consider the reason why we have to do both sorce pull and load pull in PA.

purplewolf wrote on Aug 10th, 2010, 3:15pm:
So , the s parameters depends on the load transformation network provided the device is not altered..
Not correct.

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2010, 7:27am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2010, 4:59pm

I think the bigger issue regarding input matching is that PAE is defined as the power delivered to the input and not the available power of the input source.

Under this assumption, you must match the input and attempt to deliver as much output power as possible to the load at the fundamental. Ropt in this case is matching the output to deliver as much output power as possible, but there is still the assumption that the input is power matched for the PAE calculation/measurement. If you mismatch the input then Pout-Pin will suffer.

Steve Cripps gives a fairly clear account of this in his book entitled RF Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications, 2nd Edition published by Artech House. I recommend it as a good reference on RF power amplifier fundamentals.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.