The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many clock generators for multiple pipelined ADCs? (Read 1695 times)
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
How many clock generators for multiple pipelined ADCs?
Aug 18th, 2010, 5:32pm

Hi all,

I am designing a chip with many different channels, and each of which has a separate pipelined ADC.  I'm trying to decide how to partition the clocking for these ADCs.  My choices are:

1.  Use a non-overlapping clock generator for each pipeline, and bus a single master clock around.

2.  Use a non-overlapping clock generator for a group of ADCs (for example for every 4 pipelines).  In this case I'm bussing the clock phases around a bit, but not too much.

3.  Use a single non-overlapping clock generator and bus the different clock phases around.

My initial thought is that (1) makes the most sense.  I don't have an area problem since the chip is in 65nm (the clock generator will be small).  Using scheme (1) will lower the overall load I'm driving, since while I have more clock generators, they will for the most part only drive switches since the total amount of interconnect will be shorter than if I do (2) or (3).  Therefore, since power is proportional to C, I think scheme (1) will be the lowest power of the schemes.

Can anyone see either a. a problem with this thinking, or b. a potential gotcha I haven't thought of?

Thanks,
Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: How many clock generators for multiple pipelined ADCs?
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2010, 9:10am

The N.O. clock for each pipeline seems to make the most since because the routing will be less. Crosstalk may also be less. The design will be more modular in case you need to expand. The only issue that comes to mind using separate clock gens is that there will more skew between channels, which hopefully isn't an issue with you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.