The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 7:50pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO basic question (Read 2042 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
VCO basic question
Aug 27th, 2010, 6:43am

hi,
through math i came to know that series resistance with inductor in lc tank reduce the resonance frequency where as with series resistance with varactor will increase. But i want to know from theory..can any one explain it...i am sure it is because of series resistance inductor Q will go down and varactor Q will increase and i am guessing this is the main reason.

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vp1953

Re: VCO basic question
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2010, 3:59pm

HI Raja,

Q for a inductor/capacitor is always defined as  magnitude of reactive part/resistive part, so it always comes down when the series resistance increases regardless of whether it is capacitive or inductive.

when you have a series resistance with the inductor or capacitor, it has to be converted to its parallel equivalent and the parallel equivalent is used to calculate the resonant frequency via w=1/sqrt(LC).

For an inductor, with a series resistance, the parallel inductance value increases and is given by (w^2.L^2+R^2)/(w^2.L) where R and L are the series resistance and inductance. Hence the resonant frequency comes down.

For the capacitor, the parallel capacitance value decreases and hence the resonant frequency increases.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: VCO basic question
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2010, 11:47am

hi,
tx for your reply, so what you are saying is correct so during conversion from parallel to series you will get large inductor and small cap you would see the difference. But i am trying to get this feel from Phase diagram..any how tx for your reply.

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.