The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 12:48am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why resistors produce so much noise (Read 17533 times)
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: Why resistors produce so much noise
Reply #15 - Sep 28th, 2010, 8:19pm

vp1953 wrote on Sep 28th, 2010, 5:08pm:
In you analysis, can you take out R2 altogether (and not set it to 0)
- and have a non-zero voltage source connected across a noisy resistor with one end of the resistor and voltage source connected to ground.
Try by yourself.
Then show me your results and netlists.

I showed noise current RMS value evaluated from transient noise analysis when "R2=0" is replaced by "vdc=0".

I think simply you are wrong in obserbing noise current.
Obserbe "Inoise=Itotal-Idc" not "Itotal".

You have to consider difference of magnitude order between Idc and Inoise.
Inoise is very very very very very small comapred to Idc.

Also you have to set "reltol", "vabstol" and "iabstol" appropriately with considering Idc and Inoise magnitudes.

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2010, 4:17pm by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Why resistors produce so much noise
Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 3:33am

pancho_hideboo wrote on Sep 27th, 2010, 4:28am:
But conventional small signal noise analysis of Cadence Spectre results in error when resistor value is zero,
regardless of http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1236837379/10#10. Quote:
Noise Analysis `noise': freq = 1 GHz, r2 = (0 -> 50)

Internal error found in spectre during DC solution estimation, during DC analysis, during Noise analysis `noise'.  Please run `getSpectreFiles' or send the netlist, the spectre log file, the behavioral model files, and any other information that can help identify the problem to support@cadence.com.
   FATAL (SPECTRE-18): Segmentation fault.

On the other hand, there is no error even for R2=0 in both Agilent GoldenGate and Synopsys HSPICE.
Only Cadence Spectre can not run for R2=0.

I just tested this in MMSIM72, and the simulation runs successfully, even with R2=0. No crash. Possibly a problem caused by some optimization where the zero-value resistor was removed causing a topology change. I did see in IC5141 spectre it gave an error about the conductance form being used for the zero-value resistor (but it didn't crash).

So whatever the problem was, it seems to be resolved now.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.