The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
128b/130b encoding in PCI-Express Gen3 (Read 10496 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

128b/130b encoding in PCI-Express Gen3
Sep 19th, 2010, 1:15pm

The change in encoding schemes also includes a scrambling/descrambling algorithm as follows:

x23 + x21 + x16 + x8 + x5 + x2 + 1.

It is quite interesting that this scrambling scheme only use x23 as the most significant bit, while introduced 6 feedback nodes. Compared with x59+x38+1 in 64b/66b scrambler, it is very different.

My question is that whether that many (6) feedback nodes will worsen the error propagate? (each error bit has 6 chances to ruin other bits.)

Welcome to join this discussion.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: 128b/130b encoding in PCI-Express Gen3
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2010, 3:05pm

Haven't studied it, but you are going to need the whole story, coding structures, bandwidth, ECC methods, etc.

Coding theory and ECC is a field of math/engineering that can get a bit "too interesting" for some. I went that path for a while in the field of disk drives, the coding and ECC things there are pretty complex.

What you mention of the capability to "mess up" 6 other bits does not take into account the detection scheme and the weighting of each delay tap. I expect whats getting used is a Viterbi detector and some for of "partial response" with "maximum likelihood" detection...The contribution from a single bit is actually spread across several time windows and has to be properly weighted in (or out) of the adjacent windows.

Anyhow it becomes a communication channel problem with needs to look at the model end to end, Some things will be in the PHY levels but a lot is not.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: 128b/130b encoding in PCI-Express Gen3
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2011, 4:47pm

I see. Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.