The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 2nd, 2024, 11:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Designing of Bandgap Circuit pointers (Read 2800 times)
avlsi
Community Member

singapore
Designing of Bandgap Circuit pointers
Sep 25th, 2010, 6:50am

Hi all,
I donot know whether anyone encountered the problem I am facing.

When designing a current mode bandgap for low voltage like 1.2 V VDD, I have done the basic design with ideal current sources, ideal resistors, ideal VCVS and ideal CCCS(as mosfets), actual BJTs' . But the value of the resistors from hand calculations are not at all the final values of the design (to get a bell curve with peak at 27 Deg C).

Please suggest any good reference for bandgap designs as i feel the hand caculations may be an issue.

Thanks in advance

Winners never Quit,Quitters never Win
View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: Designing of Bandgap Circuit pointers
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2010, 4:19pm

You are doing the right thing in not just believe what the model shows. If you want a bg ref to work you need to understand what is not making work ideally.

Generally the problem is current density being too large so it no longer behaves as an ideal device -- usually from the IR drop in the base resistance. You should go to the model and zero out the non-ideal components (Rb, knee current, beta, etc). Also check the equations that your model uses. There are lots of temp dependencies in there: XTI, EG, temp dependence of EG, etc... make sure you hand calc includes these.

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Re: Designing of Bandgap Circuit pointers
Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2010, 6:17am

Um...what is a current mode bandgap. Can you please post schematics so we can do a theoretical calculation. Typically your final resistor values will be close to the theoretical values, though not exact (to get the best tempco)

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.