The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 3rd, 2024, 11:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the function of this BJT pair? (Read 3209 times)
frozenduck

What's the function of this BJT pair?
Sep 29th, 2010, 8:37pm

Hi all,

Could anyone explain why adding this BJT pair at the output of 1st stage in a 3-stage opamp and how does it work?
The 1st stage is a simple nmos differential pair with pmos load and this opamp is the core of a CMOS line driver.

Thanks

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2010, 1:26am by frozenduck »  
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: What's the function of this BJT pair?
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2010, 1:56am

that cross-coupled pair emulates a negative (-ve) impedance, which should allow an increase in the gainbandwidth of the first stage.

vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
frozenduck

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2010, 2:52am

Hi,

If this is a NPN cross-coupled BJT pair, it will give negative impedance. However they are PNP BJT here. Because of the gain of following stages, the swing between these two nodes will be very small and PNP BJT will be OFF. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2010, 6:39pm

Hi Vivek,

Thank you for the explanation. Now if we assume the load at this stage is a parallel resistor - capacitor. The negative resistance introduced by the bipolar pair is in shunt with the load resistor increasing the effective resistance. The low frequency gain has increased but the pole at the frequency has also become lower, both by the same amount. Thus, the gain bandwidth is nearly constant.

Could you explain how the gain bandwidth has increased or maybe one of my assumptions above is incorrect?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2010, 12:43am

My mistake: Indeed, those are PNPs which will be normally OFF. So negative impedance is not being realized with those. Perhaps some other large-signal function is being implemented here. No idea ...

vp1953: Indeed, only the gain will increase not the gainBW.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
frozenduck

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2010, 1:48am

I doubt if it gives some protection for unexpected large transient voltage?
Otherwise, it is implemented particularly by BJT not MOS.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.