The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impedance Matching Portable Digital TV tuner Large Inductance (Read 5130 times)
yousuf

Impedance Matching Portable Digital TV tuner Large Inductance
Oct 11th, 2010, 11:06am

Hi,

I was wondering how to design the integrated Impedance matching network for Portable DTV tuner (400MHz to 900MHz) (Inductors in micro Henry range), without using large inductors.

Some possible solutions maybe the use of active inductors. But I just want to use passive devices for matching.

How do they incorporate large inductors in portable or mobile devices for DTV tuning?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Re: Impedance Matching Portable Digital TV tuner Large Inductance
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2010, 2:02am

what is the LNA topology used  in your design?
what is the reauired NF for your receiver?

I asking that because you can consider using a CG input stage which does not require any inductors in the matching network

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2010, 9:30pm

Hi,

Is this for the input stage? I don't think you would want to use active inductors, since they will add noise directly to the input. You can also forget about integrated inductors since as you say they are too large. For such low frequency you probably have to use common-gate, resistive shunt-feedback, or simply an off-chip matching network.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
yousuf

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2010, 11:12pm

Actually its a variable gain amplifier. So since its the middle block of the receiver, its NF, Linearity are not great concern to me. Only its resolution or gain step

I am just considering putting a resistor parallel to the input that will I guess give me my impedance match.

I was only wondering how do they get portable Digital TV tuners like the ones they use in mobile phones  to be so miniaturized without using any external bulky inductors in the design.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2010, 12:10am

Hi,

I don't have any experience in that area, but for your own design, you can terminate with a resistor as you say, but why do you need impedance matching in the first place? Is this VGA to be a chip on its own?

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2010, 9:36am

yousuf wrote on Oct 11th, 2010, 11:06am:
I was wondering how to design the integrated Impedance matching network for Portable DTV tuner (400MHz to 900MHz) (Inductors in micro Henry range), without using large inductors.
See http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1207009725/2#2

Usually common-gate stage or common-base stage is used.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2010, 10:12am

Yousuf,

At 400-900MHz matching inductors will probably only need to be in the 1's  to 10's of nH's depending on the value of inductor needed you can make some fairly good inductors on chip or even higher Q ones on the pcb board.  

I have a crazy idea why don't you post your circuit 2-port unmatched s-parameters on this site and we can have a small contest to see who can match it with the most area effective match?

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.