The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 2nd, 2024, 11:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cascoode biasing circuit (Read 2839 times)
ontheverge

cascoode biasing circuit
Oct 14th, 2010, 5:25am

Hi,
I'm designing a biasing circuit for folded cascode op-amp, the  designed circut structure is shown below: there are still a few things i'm not quite clear:

1. are M14, M15 always necessary?
2. how to characterize the performance of a biasing circuit?
3. in what way does the gain of M1, M2(gm1*ro1*gm2*ro2), or M8,M9 affects the overall biasing circuit's performance?

thanks,
Steve

circuit_001.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Re: cascoode biasing circuit
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2010, 5:41am

1. They reduce mismatch of current due to otherwise different drain voltages.
2. Check if all transistors stay in saturation with PVT
3. Parameters as noise and impedance can influence the performance of the circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2010, 8:35am

Lex wrote on Oct 14th, 2010, 5:41am:
1. They reduce mismatch of current due to otherwise different drain voltages.

Just to clarify/expand a bit.

M12-13 could have very different drain voltages from M1 unless the cascode is used. Also, the power supply rejection of the M1/M12/M13 mirror will be poor if the channel lengths are short. You could get similar performance without the cascode by making the the channels longer at a cost of more cap on the drain and slower response of the M1 mirror.

For verification, I like to make sure Vds > Vdsat+100mV over all corners. Preferably 150mV greater.

The "bottom" device of a mirror should have gm as small as possible (usually limited by bandwidth)to minimize noise and mismatch caused by Vt mismatches. On the other hard, the cascode device should have as large of gm as possible to increase gm*ro and minimize the pole due to the impedance looking into that node.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
ontheverge

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2010, 6:45pm

As far as output swing is concerned, want Vb2 low (Vb3 high), however, if Vov2 is not minimized, reducing Vb2 will reduce Vds1, hurt intrinsic gain from M1, so I figure maybe I should minimize Vov2 by increase its Width, is that the right way to work on it?

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2010, 7:33pm

ontheverge wrote on Oct 14th, 2010, 6:45pm:
so I figure maybe I should minimize Vov2 by increase its Width, is that the right way to work on it?

... or shortening the length. Both of these increase gm.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.