The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to choose capacitance value? (Read 9478 times)
saam
Community Member

india
How to choose capacitance value?
Nov 14th, 2010, 1:24am

How to select the values of the dc-bloking, coupling and bypass capacitors at RF frequencies? which parameters we need to consider?

ThankU
saam

View Profile   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Re: How to choose capacitance value?
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2010, 1:37am

Hello pancho
          Can you please elaborate....

ThankU
saam

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2010, 1:28am

please post the answers to all the forum members... thanks

to your question - it depends.

you can use the decoupling capacitor to be a part of a matching network between 2 block and in that case the capacitance value will be detaemined by the matching

if you want the decoupling to be transparent to the input block thenyou have to choose the capacitance to be big enough not to present substential impedance at the frequency that you are working at

View Profile   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2010, 10:00pm

Hello,
      ThankU but my coupling capacitor is not in input network
    I have used coupling capacitor to couple active inductor as a load but here due to parallel resonance (i think in wire which is connecting coupling capacitor to the input stage at output node)  in S21 plot i am getting peak at lower frequencies (in MHz) also  but actually i have to 2 get peak only @4GHz for 2-6GHz wide band (-dB bandwidth).
           If i use coupling capacitor=1nF there is no peak
           if i use coupling capacitor=3pF (in pico range) i am getting peak at lower frequency (in MHz) also ....
but 1nF is very high value,,while doing layout that capacitor occupying more area than passive inductor.

Can anyone suggest me how to choose coupling capacitor value

thank U
saam

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2010, 11:36pm

try simulating the peak frequency versus capacitor value - it is interesting to see what minimum value of decoupling capacitor that dont effect the peak frequency

View Profile   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2010, 12:07am

Ya i have simulated for different values of coupling capacitor from 1pF to 1nF, at high value of capacitance i.e nearly 300-500pF..i am not getting peak...that is the problem i posted,,because that high cap occupying more area than passive inductor.  :-[

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2010, 12:23am

So I assume that you are using this decoupling cap at the output of an amplifier. in that case I would use the active inductor to resonate this capacitance along with the rest of the capacitance that you have on this node

View Profile   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2010, 8:11am

Sorry i didnt get u..can u please elaborate it
     for more clarification i am attaching the circuit which i have used      ( fig.2), please note that in that circuit i havn't used that series resistance Rc and directly coupled to the output node.

ThankU
saam

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2010, 3:43am

I have simulated the impedance loading the first stage of the LNA - take a look at the attached schematic. C4 represents Cgs3 in the paper you attached, SRC2 and R4 represent the current source IL and the rest of the components are simplified model of the active inductor and the series decoupling components. I have taken aproximate values just to feel the circuit and it seems that you can get a peak in your band and control it very easily with the active inductor inductance and the series Cc and Rc.

rfdesign1.png
View Profile   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2010, 4:37am

Hello
    Thank You so much for analysis given, and in these days there is some network problem and away from internet, so unable to give reply.. sorry for that..
    I analyzed with the circuit which you have given, in that high frequency peak can be controlled using only active inductor inductance because i don't have Rc in my circuit.
but here my inductor is giving high value of inductance ie 9n-18nH in 2-6GHz frequency range and i have used decoupling capacitor as 1nF  at both input and output. Is this gives any effect??

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2010, 1:37am

I am not sure I understand your question but I will try to answer anyways.
You can simply raplace the actice inductor in your circuit with a simplified model and then you can sweep the inductance of the active inductor and see the effect.
if you want to get a good feeling about the active inductor model you may reffer to
"CMOS active inductors and transformers principle implementation and applications" by Fei Yuan

View Profile   IP Logged
saam
Community Member

india
Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2010, 7:24pm

Ya i already hv dat book.
   And i got solution for my question,,that lower frequency undesired band, it depends upon the frequency of blocking capacitance at the input and coupling capacitance. And if u select proper values of that capacitance it was suppressing the peak. Now my circuit is working properly.
   and thank U so much for your valuable analysis given, it helps me to think in that way.

ThankU

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.