The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:29am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2-port (floating) impedance measurement in ADS (Read 3431 times)
DoYouLinux
Community Member

2-port (floating) impedance measurement in ADS
Dec 02nd, 2010, 2:32am

Hi all,

I am wondering about a simple thing. In ADS, I have a lumped network consisting of a series branch (L and R) and a shunt branch (C and R), as shown in the attached figure. If I want to measure the impedance between both terminals of this lumped network, how should I proceed ? Clearly, I cannot ground the terminal at the shunt branch because this will eliminate the shunt branch.

Is there any building block in ADS that allows me to get a 2-terminal impedance like this network ? I need to extract this impedance to be used in a MeaEqn.

It seems that "Zin" block is not for floating impedance like this one, it should be for measuring impedance of a grounded network.

I should figure out how to do, but it seems not clear to me now.

Please suggest  :)

DYL

Zin_measure.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: 2-port (floating) impedance measurement in ADS
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010, 3:53pm

ADS has convenient measurement functions to convert S-parameters to other parameters such as Z or Y parameters.

A measurement equation will let you set some variable using the function

Z=stoz(S) I think is correct then you can break out Z11 and Z22 in the dataset and look at the real and imaginary parts.

I used to use this all the time for looking at EM simulation results for spiral inductor modeling.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.