The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Different step size for different analisys time in ADE spectre transient (Read 6728 times)
Evgenii
Community Member

Different step size for different analisys time in ADE spectre transient
Dec 03rd, 2010, 5:22am

Hi Folks! Smiley
How to set different step size in spectre. Say, i need simulate freq tuning of quartz model with precision time step (maxstep 1ps for measurements) after his settling time (10ms). Settling time may be computed with too big or variable step size...
How to realise is? It is possible?

Thanks! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Different step size for different analisys time in ADE spectre transient
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2010, 6:20am

I don't think this is feasible.

Run spectre -help tran, I find the following.
Quote:
Dynamic Parameters during Transient Analysis
The parameters defined in the `Dynamic parameters' section allow users to change temperature,design
parameters or some option parameters (reltol, residualtol, vabstol, iabstol, isnoisy) during transient
simulation.

Obviously, maxstep is not a parameter that can be changed during a tran analysis in spectre simulator until now. The spectre sub-version is 10.1.0.213.isr1.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2010, 11:17pm

You can easily use verilog-a's boundstep to do this, but you probably shouldn't. Manually controlling the time-steps is one of the most inefficient ways of controlling accuracy. If you don't think you answer is accurate enough, have you tried just tightening reltol? Or perhaps you can set errpreset to conservative. Those are generally the best first steps.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Evgenii
Community Member

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2010, 2:19am

Thanks!:)

View Profile   IP Logged
Evgenii
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2010, 9:19am

Unfortunaly I don't  find section `Dynamic parameters'  in spectre ver. 5.10.41.020608
i tried next:

p paramset {
 time reltol
 0  1e-3
 5m 1e-6
}

error.... 'time' is built-in parameter....
Sad

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2010, 2:53am by Evgenii »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 2:28am

Why are you using such an old version of spectre? spectre in the IC5141 has not been updated for some considerable time. At the end of 2004 (soon after IC5141 came out), spectre was split off into a separate stream, MMSIM. Since then there have been MMSIM60, MMSIM61, MMSIM62, MMSIM70, MMSIM71, MMSIM72 and MMSIM101. That's 7 major releases, so you are using a really old version of spectre, lacking in a lot of improvements and enhancements. There's no reason why you can't use a recent MMSIM version with IC5141 - that's really the recommendation.

That said, I don't think dynamic parameters is the solution in this case, as Ken said - controlling the accuracy of the simulator would be a better option. I just wanted to ensure you're actually taking advantage of 6 more years of simulator evolution and improvement!

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.