The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 9:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is level convertor same as dc-dc convertor ? (Read 3650 times)
kanu

Is level convertor same as dc-dc convertor ?
Dec 17th, 2010, 7:43am

Hi All,

I have a doubt. I am working on dc-dc to convertor for low voltage applications. I am basically new to this topic. But I have earlier worked on level convertor for subthreshold circuit. I was just wondering if both level convertor and dc-dc convertor same ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Kanu

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Is level convertor same as dc-dc convertor ?
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2010, 11:50pm

hi kanu,
there are many kinds of dc -dc converter like buck,boost and buck-boost. Which one you are discussing? and moreover level converter is different from dc to dc converter. Mainly DC to DC converter works like V0=V1*(duty cycle). So based on duty cycle you can get any multiple of input voltage. Level shifter converts from one supply to another supply, i guess here you dot have programmable output voltage.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2014, 3:56pm

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 18th, 2010, 11:50pm:
hi kanu,
there are many kinds of dc -dc converter like buck,boost and buck-boost. Which one you are discussing? and moreover level converter is different from dc to dc converter. Mainly DC to DC converter works like V0=V1*(duty cycle). So based on duty cycle you can get any multiple of input voltage. Level shifter converts from one supply to another supply, i guess here you dot have programmable output voltage.

Thanks.

Hi Raja,
   Now I need a DC-DC converter, which should converter like 1.8V DC voltage to 15V and the up-converted DC voltage could be a power supply for the high voltage circuit. Could you give me some comments on this kind DC-DC converter since it is my first time to look at it.
   Thank you.
   Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2014, 10:00am

Folks:

There are many books and web sites that deal with power conversion.

Many!

May I suggest that you do some basic research first and then come ask specific questions.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2014, 3:55pm

loose-electron wrote on May 11th, 2014, 10:00am:
Folks:

There are many books and web sites that deal with power conversion.

Many!

May I suggest that you do some basic research first and then come ask specific questions.

Hello Loose-Electron,
   I find a lot DC-DC converters, both buck and boost. But most of them are based on the Dickson's structure, and I worry about the ripples a lot. My application is boost a 1.8V battery voltage to 15V to power the high voltage circuit. The high voltage circuit is dynamic, the instant current can be as high as 10mA. At the same, I want to avoid the huge capacitor in the design. That is what bothers me a lot.
Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2014, 4:07pm

Also, if the ripple is large, and the clock frequency is closed to the signal frequency, I am afraid of the power noise which could reduce the SNR a lot. The high voltage circuit has the re-generative block at the load. So I don't think the PSRR+ can be good for the high voltage circiut. I just wonder if there is a stable power boost conveter?
By the way, Fully integration is preferred, and inductor should not be used in the design since it is huge in the layout while not every CMOS technology has the inductor cell in their library. Any comments?
Thank you
 Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.