The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 29th, 2024, 11:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
diff chargepump mismatch (Read 3191 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
diff chargepump mismatch
Dec 20th, 2010, 7:55pm

hi every one,
i am designing differential Charge pump based PLL. Please find the attached CP schematic. i am expecting Vref will impact charge pump mismatch but my common mode reference is varying +/_ 20mv across corners and this leads to 12% mismatch. Can any one please tell me is there any Diff charge pump  architecture which can have less impact ?

Thanks.

diff_cp.png
View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vp1953

Re: diff chargepump mismatch
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2010, 5:05pm

Hi Raja,

Can you explain why Vref will impact pump mismatch?

If Vref was constant across corners, what would be mismatch be (less than 12%?) ?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2010, 7:21pm

hi,
if vref go down,common @ charge pump has to go down and so as to happen this down current has to go high. My common mode varies by around 20mv across corners.
By the way mismatch i am talking is not random mismatch.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
solidstate

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2010, 1:59am

Can't you increase the output impedance of the current sources? I would think that helps to reduce the problem?

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2010, 12:22pm

Hi Raja!

Have you checked that your current source transistors are into saturation, Vgs>Vgs,sat?

Your CM loop is comparing the lowest voltage of the Vctlp and Vctln to Vref and then feedback the result. This will work if Vctlp and Vctln are swingning around the same CM voltage, if you have some LP filtering somewhere. But your PLL-CP will have a DC voltage between Vctlp and Vctln when the PLL is locking the VCO to the correct frequency. Then your CM loop will put the lowest of Vctlp and Vctln equal to Vref. The highest of Vctlp and Vctln will be much higher, and maybe put the PMOS current sources into the linear region.

The trick with the three transitor diffstage to the left will work in a opamp with swing but I do not think it will work here. I suggest you sense the Vctlp and Vctln voltage with two source followers and connect the sources together with two resistors and use the middle point together with Vref to get the error signal for the CM loop.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.