The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 29th, 2024, 3:29pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Biquad types (Read 703 times)
rfmagic
Community Member

Re: Biquad types
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2011, 5:50am

Hi,

Back again with some interesting results of the biquads that we have been discussing on the previous posts.

I have downloaded the Filter Solutions software trial and produced 4 3rd order active Butterworth LPFs. I have to admit that Filter Solution is great and can save a lot of time in the process of filter configuration research. I then simulated the ferquency response and noise of the filters and it seems that theh Sallen-Key filter has the best noise performance even over the LeapFrog filter (any idea why, ssahl??). I then wanted to see the sensitivity of the different configurations to component variations and the opamp GBW, so I set all the component values to vary +/-3 std and also the opamps GBW was varied by +/- 3std (using MC simulation). as you can see also here (in the attached plot) the Sallen-Key configuration has least sensitivity.

It seems that these results does not support the laepfrog configuration as havin gthe best noise and sensitivity performance.

Filters_sensitivity_MonteCarlo.png
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #16 - Jan 10th, 2011, 7:51am

Thank's for sharing the pictures and also the review of Filter Solutions. Some comments about your curves.

You have very low sensitivity for the SC filter. I think that has to do with that you have an ideal unity-gain block, without any mismatch. If you put in an opamp based unity-gain amplifier with two feedback resistors you will see some gain-variation. The other topologies has that gain stage build into them.

If you look at the noise plots you see that the leapfrom has the lowest peak around the band edge, which is good. This has to do with that the internal Q-values in that topology is low.

It is always possible to generate a low noise value, it is only to use small resistors and large capacitors. Before you make any conclusions you should have a look at how much signal currents each opamp must deliver into the RC networks. (You can do that with a simple AC analysis.) Also have a look at how high voltage amplitudes you have at the opamp outputs inside the filters. It is easy to have very large signal swings at internal nodes that will saturate you opamp.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #17 - Jan 10th, 2011, 10:52am

Hi ssahl,

I agree about the peak at the band edge but still, an integration of the noise on the entire frequency range ends up with the SK a little better than leapfrog. My design criterion was maximum capacitor value of no more than 4.5pF (for area considerations) and the resistors value were set accordingly.

I still think that the leapfrog and MFB advantages are not evident in this simulation and it might got to do with the fact that it is a relatively low order filter (3rd order Butterworth), maybe if I repeat this simulation for a 5th order filter the results will be different. I think it worth the effort.

Anyway, thanks for the tips regarding the current consumption and maximum voltage peaks at the opamps, I will take that into consideration

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #18 - Jan 10th, 2011, 12:29pm

I see your point and understand that you need to put your foot down! As you pointed out the conclusions for an 5'th order filter can be different, such filter has higher Q values. Different conclusions can also be drawn if you consider integrated noise or spot noise.

If you are going to check the signals currents, do not forget the amplifier driving the filter. A RC network at the filter input will load preceeding stage. If it is possible, please keep us updated. It has been an interesting discussion.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2011, 1:54am

Hi rfmagic,

in your evaluation of the filter software simulation results you shouldn't forget that all simulations assume ideal opamp properties - as far as input and output impedances are concerned.
Because of this, you did not detect the following disadvantage of the S+K topology:
Above a certain frequency the attenuation will again decrease (the filter transfer curve is rising).
This effect is due to the feedback capacitor:
For higher frequencies there is a remarkable and rising portion of the input signal that reaches the opamp output DIRECTLY (not via the internal amplifier chain). This portion creates at the finite opamp output a signal voltage that increases with frequency. You can observe this effect via circuit simulation based on real amplifier macro models.
Example: opamp type LM741, second order lowpass with Qp=1 and 3-dB frequency 50 kHz. As a result, the attenuation will be not better than -35 dB (at app. 400 kHz) and then will decrease again.  

Regarding Monte Carlo simulation: May be you didn't get the right picture because - in some cases - tolerance variations can cancel or reduce each other. The worst case for S+K topology is variation of one of the gain fixing resistors alone! Try it - it's really bad!
(Obviously, this is not the case for unity gain design - however, this alternative has other disadvantages).

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2011, 2:23am

Hi buddypoor,

Actually I used an opamp model with a finite GBW of 1GHz and output impedance of 100Ohm. I also compared this model to a real opamp implementation and the only difference that I saw was the 1/f noise due to the transistors that was  not acounted for with the opamp model. so, I think that to that point I am pretty much simulating a real scenario.

Regarding Monte Carlo simulation, it is clear that some of the scenarios created by the MC generator will end up in canceling devastating effects but this is also true for the opposite case where some scenarios are very bad.

I agree that for a unity gain S+K topology the mismatch is low, I will repeat the simulations for S+K that has some gain , I expect to see more mismatch effect as you noted. What are the disadvantages that you mentioned regarding a unity gain S+K?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2011, 3:07am

rfmagic, for clarification I enclose a pdf-picture with a comparison of some different approaches.
Regarding your question: For a unity gain S+K topology you will have a relatively large component spread for resistors as well as capacitors (in the order of 10 or something similar). In some cases (IC technology) this is not wanted.

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2011, 4:24pm

Hi Buddypoor,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation and the example you illustrated.

Question for you : your curve 3 (in the pdf) has a substantial rising portion (just before the rolloff) - almost seems like it has an additional  low frequency zero. What is the reason for this and is it a consequence of op amp nonideality?

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2011, 2:44am

Yes, you are right. The peaking of No. 3 is a consequence of the additional phase shift - introduced by the non-ideal opamp which in this case (negative feedback topology) gas a rather large gain of app (-20).
Because of the relatively high pole frequency (app. 50 kHz) and this gain requirement, the non-idealities have a remarkable influence and cause a pole Q enhancement.
This is a disadvantage of this structure (for high pole frequencies). The advantage is a much better (lower) sensitivity to parts tolerances.
This is a general rule: negative feedback topologies always have smaller sensitivities to tolerances - if compared with positive feedback structures.
However, they are more sensible to opamp non-idealities.
Another general rule: Each circuit alternative is a compromize between several - mostly conflicting - requirements.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.