The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 29th, 2024, 3:19pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Biquad types (Read 694 times)
rfmagic
Community Member

Biquad types
Dec 30th, 2010, 1:19pm

Hi,
I am designing a 5th order Butterworth filter using casceded biquads. I have seen many topologies to implement a biquad but I am not sure I got the main advantages of each type.
I appreciate is someone could tell me the main advantages and disadvantages of the following biquad types:
1. Sallen_Key
2. MFB
3. Tow-Thomas

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Biquad types
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2010, 1:49am

rfmagic wrote on Dec 30th, 2010, 1:19pm:
Hi,
I am designing a 5th order Butterworth filter using casceded biquads. I have seen many topologies to implement a biquad but I am not sure I got the main advantages of each type.
I appreciate is someone could tell me the main advantages and disadvantages of the following biquad types:
1. Sallen_Key
2. MFB
3. Tow-Thomas

Thanks

At first, I wouln't call S+K and MFB a "Biquad" since both cannot create a biquadratic transfer function - but that's not too important.
In particular:
* S+K is rather sensitive to parts tolerances, but less sensitive to opamps GBW.
* Just the opposite is true for MFB
* The TT-biquad also is not suited for rather high frequencies (because of sensitivity to the GBW). More than that, it uses more than one opamp (as both other alternatives, S+K, MFB).
*One additional hint: The cascade approach (several stages in series) is not the best from the sensitivity point of view. What about active realization of a passive ladder structure (FDNR technique)?

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2010, 1:52am

Hi!

One difference between Sallen Key and MFB is that you can easily build a fully differential filter with the MFB, which is tricky with the Sallen Key.

Tow-Thomas can give you a bandpass filter if you need it.

Have you looked into a leapfrog architecture? It is a robust architechture and I believe that you get better SNR performance per current consumption. But it requires some theory to calculate the RC values.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2010, 4:15am

Thanks for your reply...

Buddypoor,

is it possible to design a filter with such a minimal sensitivity to parts and GBW so that it will eliminate the need for calibration?. the tolerance for CMOS 0.18u technology is pretty large (+/- 15%).

I saw some designs that actually use TT stages in cascade  for WLAN zero IF frequencies (<20MHz BW) can you think of a possible advantage of the TT over other configurations even though it uses 2 opamps?.

Which configuration has the best noise performance?

Thanks in advance

I

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2010, 4:59am

ssahl,

I am not familiar with the the leapfrog implementation but I will look into that as it has better noise performance according to your reply.

At first I wanted to used the cascaded Biquads architecture as it is very simple implement.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 7:06am

rfmagic wrote on Dec 31st, 2010, 4:59am:
ssahl,

I am not familiar with the the leapfrog implementation but I will look into that as it has better noise performance according to your reply.

At first I wanted to used the cascaded Biquads architecture as it is very simple implement.

Thanks

Yeah, the biquads are much simpler to understand. But for high orders you get vary high Q-value for some of the biquads and you need low-resistors to get the noise performance. I think it is worth the extra theoretical effort of the leapfrog. I found some simple presentation how to make it work.

http://amesp02.tamu.edu/~sanchez/458-Leapfrog.PDF

/ssahl

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:12am

Thanks for the presentation ssahl, i

I am not sure I that I get your point, in order to get good noise performance I would expect to have high Q circuit so that the resistive components will be low, right? but you say just the opposite...
If my argument is correct then it will be better to use a cascaded biquads.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:46pm

rfmagic wrote on Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:12am:
Thanks for the presentation ssahl, i

I am not sure I that I get your point, in order to get good noise performance I would expect to have high Q circuit so that the resistive components will be low, right? but you say just the opposite...
If my argument is correct then it will be better to use a cascaded biquads.

Hi,

what I meant my high Q circuits is the Q-value of the pole that the active filter is implementing, not the Q value of the components itself.

For the biquad implementation all poles needs to be placed in a specific biquad. Placing the ones with high Q early will make the filter to peak internally. This generates large voltage swing. To handle that you probably need to lower the gain to that point. Keeping the SNR you need to lower the resistor values and increasing the capacitor values, which cost you current in the opamps.

If you try out the leapfrog structure it looks like there is less peaking internally in the filter. (I have no theoretical proof for this but it is my experiance.) This lower peaking means that you can keep a larger signal swing in the filter and therefor keeping the SNR high without going for low resistor values.

I hope this explaination makes sense.

/ssahl

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 1:48am

Yes, I agree with ssahl concerning trade-off between leapfrog and cascade design.
One additional recommendation: Why not use - at least to gather some information about circuit alternatives - some filter design programs?
There are several different design programs available for free via download.
I tend to remember that there is even a program containing the leapfrog topology (filter_solutions).

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 4:58am

buddypoor,

That's a very good idea, following your input and ssahl inputs, I started to wonder how to compare the different alternatives quickly, and without making this project to complicated. I am working with ADS and the "Filter Design Guide" only synthesises lumped elements ladder networks so I suppose that this is not the right tool as it still leaves me too much work to transform the passive ladder into an active one.

It will be very nice to use a program that can generate diffrent Active filter architectures in order to compare their performance. Is the program that you recommend (filter_solutions) can do that?

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:15am

Here are some useful links for active filters:

*www.filter-solutions.com (filter_free)
*www.microchip.com (Filterlab)
*www.ti.com (FilterPro)
*www.schematica.com (FilWizPro)

All have working demo versions for free

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:27am

buddypoor wrote on Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:15am:
Here are some useful links for active filters:

*www.filter-solutions.com (filter_free)
*www.microchip.com (Filterlab)
*www.ti.com (FilterPro)
*www.schematica.com (FilWizPro)

All have working demo versions for free

Regards

Hi,

I have found a simple program from Linear by which you can get the poles and zeros from a filter. I have found it useful.

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/filtercad.jsp

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmagic
Community Member

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:36am

Thanks guys,

I will take a look at the links and update you on the results

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 9:15am

Hi ssahl, I know the program from LTC - and, indeed, it is very useful to find the pole parameter for different approximations.
However, it gives parts values only for the design of filter modules from LTC. Thus, it cannot help by designing other structures.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:55am

Hi Buddy!

Yes, the only use I have of it is the poles and zeros. It's lika a filter table. Thanks for the tips of the other softwares, I will have a look at them next time I run into a filter problem.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.