The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 4:09am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how the number of harmonics in PSS affects PAC simulation? (Read 2133 times)
sapphire
Community Member

how the number of harmonics in PSS affects PAC simulation?
Jan 20th, 2011, 7:30pm

Hi,

I want to simulate the supply rejection of my regulator using PAC. The regulator is used to provide a clean "supply" for ring osillators in a PLL. This is only a standalone simulation containing only regulator, oscillators, and some bias circuits.

Since I am only interested in the harmonic index=0 output frequency response, can I set the number of harmonics in PSS simulation to 0? This saves me a lot of time and it's much easier to get convergion. I think noise folding is not the case here, so higher harmonics wont contribute to the PAC accuracy. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Sapphire

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: how the number of harmonics in PSS affects PAC simulation?
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2011, 11:16pm

If using shooting, then the answer is yes, you should (in general) be able to set the number of harmonics in the PSS to 0. This is because there will be timepoints following the waveforms regardless of the number of harmonics requested, and the minimum number of timepoints produced is based on ensuring spectral accuracy up to 4 times max(maxHarmonicRequested,10).

If using harmonic balance, you'll need to ensure you've requested enough harmonics in the PSS to ensure that it can accurately represent the PSS solution in a frequency domain representation of the solution. So 0 would definitely not be OK then!

Regards,

Andrew

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.