The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 28th, 2024, 9:33pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Energy stored in capacitor (Read 529 times)
rfidea

Europe
Re: Energy stored in capacitor
Reply #15 - Feb 05th, 2011, 2:19pm

Your derivation is correct. It also match the energy "law" of a capacitor, E=0.5CV^2.

But you are saying that you get the same answer with the resistor. In earlier post you say you get CV^2, if the voltage is a ramp.

I think you have mixed up the energy provided from the supply when it applies a step voltage into the RC network. In that case the energi provided will be CV^2 and independed of R. You can not use this relationship with a ramp with zero transition time. Then you can not solve the i=C*dv/dt relationship of the capacitor and we are back where we started with the two capacitors.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2011, 2:36pm

I think there is some misunderstanding.. Jus see this..
Voltage across battery will be iR +1/c integral(i dt). and that we need to integrate over time . So i think u il get loss term in resistor if we include it.
Answer should not change in watever way we do.
When u give a ramp the volage across the cap will not be derivative of ramp due to resistor. we need to solve some first order differential equation..

is this ok with you

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2011, 5:09pm

as for the original post - the energy remains the same - remember that 2 variables are changings - voltage and capacitance.

As for the Ideal voltage source and ideal capacitor - sure why not? Just need infinite current for a brief period of time.

BTW - if you can give me a true ideal voltage source, we can solve the worlds energy problems.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2011, 5:17pm

Hi tats true...think of condition of charging cap with ideal voltage source..
Some how we migrated to this question.
Energy supplied by battery and energy stored in capacitor are the same.. We wont get any loss
Is it corect to say this...

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2011, 1:45am

Rakesh wrote on Feb 5th, 2011, 2:36pm:
I think there is some misunderstanding.. Jus see this..
Voltage across battery will be iR +1/c integral(i dt). and that we need to integrate over time . So i think u il get loss term in resistor if we include it.
Answer should not change in watever way we do.
When u give a ramp the volage across the cap will not be derivative of ramp due to resistor. we need to solve some first order differential equation..

is this ok with you

The equations you are starting with is ok for me since you include the resistor. If you solving the differential system, please not forget that the voltage ramp is flatting out which influence the current.

You claiming that the answer will not change. I do not understand which answer will not change? And you can not say anything about the answer unless you have sokved the differential system and have an expression of i(t) and the integrate v(t)*i(t).

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2011, 10:47am

i = Vdd*C/(T)*(1-exp(-t/RC)).

This equation we need to integrate from 0 to infinity . keep in mind we need to consider the flattening of voltage at battery after t =T.

Is it correct way of  doing...

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2011, 12:24pm

Yes, I got the same equation when trying to solve the ramp problem with a resistor. It is valid up to t=T. I did not proceed, I'm to lazy I guess Smiley

But you are on the right track. After t=T the voltage is constant and there is a new differential equation to solve, with the initial condition set by the first equation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2011, 12:47pm

May i know your name and the place wer u belong to... jus for fun  :D

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.