The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 28th, 2024, 1:17pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Loop gain Stability analysis (Read 13288 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Loop gain Stability analysis
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2011, 6:05pm

hello all,
some told me if open loop is stable then bode can be used to examine closed loop behavior and both phase and magnitude should be monotonic ..)

correct me if i am wrong

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2011, 10:57am

Hi Rakesh,

Gain crossover happening before phase crossover with some margin for the phase should ensure stability.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2011, 1:32pm

Hi all,
       Can some one give some reference material where i can understand these stability properly.
Thanks
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2011, 12:47am

In most analog circuit design/control system books you can find something on stability. Please use google instead of cluttering this forum.

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2011, 1:07am

Alexandar,

The simple bode stability does not apply in all cases. Most real system however are simple enough that they can be analyzed using the bode stability criterion. On the other hand, conditionally stable systems for instance (like the amplifiers design by Xignal for their CT Sigma-Delta or maybe the example given in this thread) need to be analyzed using the Nyquist diagram.

I therefore think that  Rakesh's question whether bode stability criterion is enough or the Nyquist plot has to be drawn is not that trivial ... and often ignored in classical text books ... and in my experience often poorly understood by many EE!

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #20 - Feb 15th, 2011, 1:30am

Berti wrote on Feb 15th, 2011, 1:07am:
Alexandar,

The simple bode stability does not apply in all cases. Most real system however are simple enough that they can be analyzed using the bode stability criterion. On the other hand, conditionally stable systems for instance (like the amplifiers design by Xignal for their CT Sigma-Delta) need to be analyzed using the Nyquist diagram.

I therefore think that  Rakesh's question whether bode stability criterion is enough or the Nyquist plot has to be drawn is not that trivial ... and often ignored in classical text books!

Regards

FYI.. Bode plots and Nyquist plots show exactly the same information. It does not mean that if <insert some layman rule> does not apply, we need to use a Nyquist plot. Imho best to use is the complex plane w/ rootlocus method.

BTW strong nonlinear dynamics can be solved using the phase plane, that is if u are really interested into going the theoretical way. These are NOT Nyquist plots...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.