The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 28th, 2024, 11:28am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Loop gain Stability analysis (Read 13283 times)
Rakesh
Community Member

Loop gain Stability analysis
Feb 10th, 2011, 6:12pm

Hi,
   The system is a second order system. The bode plot is attached. The question is to estimate the poles and zeros and to comment on the stability of the system...

If i plot the nyquist plot i see that the system is stable.
How to explain with the help of bode plot. as it is seen from the figure that phase only changes by 120 deg approx till UGB.
Thanks
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 3:32am by Rakesh »  

bode_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Re: Loop gain Stability analysis
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2011, 9:49am

Hi Rakesh!

Is the plot for open loop gain or closed loop gain?

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2011, 11:41am

Hi rfidea,
          The plot is for the loop gain. (GH)
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2011, 12:23pm

Ok, I suppose by GH you mean the loop gain without the inversion where you get the negative feedback. Then I also suppose you are worried by the -180deg at low freq, which points to a stability problem. I think the reason for the somewhat strange curves is that you have two feedback loops, the main one you know about and one other that you have not think about. Then those curves are typical. See also

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1294178255

To convice yourself about the stability you can do the complete Nyquist criteria. The simplified one just checking if you not circle the -1 point is not enough. The reason is that it looks like you have two poles in the right half-plate for the open loop. This can be allowed, Nyquist will tell you. It also looks like you have one zero in the right half-plane at lower freq.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2011, 12:46pm

Hi rfidea,
            yes you have two poles on right half plane. and its the gain without inversion. It is stable as i have seen from nyquist criteria. There are no internal feedback loops present. But i want to know how to extimate stability from bode plot for these systems .
I am not worried for -180 deg as watever the phase in the loop gain change only by 120 deg.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2011, 1:34pm

I'm not sure you can determine stability from the bode plot in such a case. Maybe some other knows a trick. When looking at phase margin and gain margin it is assumed that the loop behaves nice, which is not the case here. What is defining the stability is the lack of poles in the right half plane for the closed loop. Nyquist criteria is a way of finding that out.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2011, 3:40pm

Thats certainly correct.. So in our design is it worth while to use nyquist criteria for stability analysis.
Is it possible to know the limits of bode plot analysis like when we cannot determine the stability of system using bode plot and when we can.
Thanks
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2011, 6:06pm

Hi Rajesh,

My quick comments - i am assuming that this is the open loop gain phase plots. It seems to have a bandpass sort of a relationship and looks like there is a single zero and two poles (zero lower than the poles). I also dont think this is an unconditionally stable system - there are two unit gain crossover points - for the first one, there is no issue with phase margin of 120 as you say. For the second one, the phase reaches 180 while the loop gain is greater than one - this could be cause for instability

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2011, 6:15pm

Hi,
  We cannot say when phase is -180 and loop gain is greater than 1 the system is unstable. This is because consider the loop gain of a PLL or any feed forward compensated system. Near DC we have two poles and the loop gain is very high. However we compensate it by adding a zero so that it is similia to first order system near UGB and to get sufficient phase margin making system stable.
Thanks
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2011, 8:10am

HI Rakesh,

Quote:
We cannot say when phase is -180 and loop gain is greater than 1 the system is unstable.

i completely agree with you for small signal analysis. the question is if this ensures stability over all input voltage magnitudes - even when the small signal gain is greater than 1, the large signal gain can be smaller and can be one (eg when the input peak to peak voltage is equal to the output voltage swing). this situation does not arise when the small signal UGC is less than when the phase is 180

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2011, 8:31am

Hi vp1953.,
            Can u expand ur reason. I didnt follow much...
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2011, 11:32am

Hi Rajesh,

Case 1. Small signal gain is greater than 1 at phase =180. As the input signal increases in magnitude, the gain can come down and even unity gain is possible (when input signal peak to peak value is equal to output voltage swing). Even thought the small signal gain is greater than one, here have a situation for large signals the gain becomes unity. So i think that gain crossover (gain going from greater than 1 to less than 1) happening before phase crossover may not ensure stability.

Case 2. Small signal gain is less than 1 at phase 180. in this case the large signal gain will also be less than 1, no issue here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2011, 12:21pm

Hi,
  Assume that i dont use transistors to make these feedback elements. so for the entire region of operation gm of the transistor can be asssumed to be constant. Then how to explain.
Actually i want to know how to explain the stability of second order systems using bode plot, where to apply and where not.
Thanks
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2011, 12:54pm

Hi Rakesh,

it does not really matter if your circuit has constant gm. In fact for most oscillators and VCO's the loop gain is chosen to be greater than 1 to ensure adequate startup.

Now lets say that your circuit has ideal components - you still have a finite supply voltage and your output swing cannot be greater than the supply. Your input signal cannot be greater than the supply - when the output swing becomes equal to input swing, you have the unity gain situation.

So i think gain crossover coming after phase crossever can cause instability. Feel free to correct me.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2011, 4:57pm

Assume that your gain cross over frequency comes before phase cross over frequency. Then is it possible to estimate the stability of the system using bode plot.
Thanks
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.