The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 25th, 2024, 8:04am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Output impedance of a closed loop amplifier across frequency (Read 2060 times)
tron_123

Output impedance of a closed loop amplifier across frequency
Apr 04th, 2011, 9:33am

Dear Friends,

I have designed a fully differential reference buffer to be used in a SAR ADC. It is just an OTA with resistive feedback. I want to measure the output impedance of this buffer across frequency. Please guide as how to go about it or point me to the test bench which can do this measurement.

Regards
-Tron

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Output impedance of a closed loop amplifier across frequency
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2011, 12:40pm

Hi Tron,

Since output impedance is a small signal parameter, first thing you have to do is set the operating bias point for your amplifier. After having done this next step is to apply an AC current with an ideal current source into the amplifier's output and measure the resulting voltage, swept over frequency. The ratio between the voltage and your  AC current source will be your output impedance over freq.
When you are setting the bias point you can leave the AC current source in the output connected, since it will not change the amplifier's operating point

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
tron_123

Re: Output impedance of a closed loop amplifier across frequency
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2011, 6:29am

Thanks Tosei,
I did as you said and it gave the desired results Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.