The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 2:57pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter vs Phase Noise (Read 4937 times)
mtp3

Jitter vs Phase Noise
Apr 14th, 2011, 8:06am

Hi!

I am new to the forum so please bear with me, I am simulating an inverter based ring oscillator (5stages) and when I measure the phase noise and then compute the jitter (Jc) for the same RO as described on the forum.

The phase noise values are positive around the oscillation frequency but the phase noise at 1Mhz offset from the oscillation frequency is -55dBc/Hz which is not a very good value While when I compute the jitter the Jc comes out to be around 140fs(Integration limit 0 to fo/2) where fo is the oscillation frequency and is around 11.9Ghz.

Now my question is,  the phase noise value is relatively poor as compared to the values one finds in research papers but the jitter value is very small in the fs (femto seconds)  range but it is usually in ps range even in the best of designs.

I would be grateful if some one could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance  :-/

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2011, 11:06am by mtp3 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Re: Jitter vs Phase Noise
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2011, 2:29am

Hi
The jitter number  that you will get by integrating the total phase noise power and dividing it by the 'w0' (fund frequency in rad/sec) is edge jitter but not the Cycle jitter, Jc.

Basically the phase noise gives u the total integrating noise on a particular VCO node rising edge and falling edges. But while calculating the cycle jitter, Jc, u will see the time difference variation between two succesive edges, where most of the low freq noise is correlated and only high frequency noise differs and shows up.

If you see 2 succesive edges of a VCO node, all the noise that has been integrated on the first edge is also there on second edge. But whatever high freq noise (f>1/T) that came during the particulate time period interval shows up only on 2nd edge. Only this extra noise is used in calculating the Cycle Jitter.

So, u can assume that u need to do some sort of differentiation on the phase noise and then integrate the resultant power to get the Cycle jitter power.

For exact formula to do that diferentiation, see the equation (1-18) in the following artilcle
www.sabreindia.net/cadence/application-note.pdf

Regards
rajkumar

View Profile   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2011, 3:03am

If you want to see the edge jitter number (the number which you find in the research papers), then u need to integrate the total phase noise power and divide it by 'w0'(fund freq in rad/sec).

Spectre pss+pnoise does not do this integration. You can probably extract those phase noise values in a text file and do the integration in MATLAB. Dont forget to change the phase noise units from dBc to volts^2. This conversion is easy and equal to 10^(L(f)/10), wher L(f) is phase noise in dBc/Hz

-regards
rajkumar

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2011, 6:11am

mtp3,

Use PNOISE jitter option to calculate the jitter. There is an app note
in the documentation that explains how to use it.

Best Regards,

Sheldon            

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.