The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 16th, 2024, 1:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pole Zero (PZ) analysis (Read 6380 times)
analogrf

Pole Zero (PZ) analysis
Apr 14th, 2011, 8:33am

Hi all,

I have a complex system with many poles and zeros. I used spectre's PZ analysis to get the accurate locations for my circuit. However i want the PZ analysis to tell me the associated node of each pole or pole-zero pair.

Is it possible to get to know the associated node of each  pole/zero too ??

Best Regards

ARF

View Profile   IP Logged
Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Re: Pole Zero (PZ) analysis
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2011, 10:28am

analogrf wrote on Apr 14th, 2011, 8:33am:
Hi all,
Is it possible to get to know the associated node of each  pole/zero too ??

It can occur that a particular pole or zero is associated with a particular node or can be approximately associated with a particular node.  However, in general, a specific pole or zero is not associated with a specific node.  It is possible to derive transfer functions in symbolic factorized pole-zero form which allows the poles and zeros to be identified in terms of the circuit elements.  The derivation is performed primarily with pencil and paper.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
analogrf

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2011, 11:04am

Thanks indeed for the reply.

You can think of it as this: One can enter the derived small signal schematics in spectre to get a clue of where the poles and zeros are. So lets say the manual analysis reveals 4 poles and 2 zeroes, then spectre also plots the exact 4p and 2z using PZ analysis.
What i wanted to know was, if one can track which respective nodes are each of these coming from (now they are associated with the SS model nodes ! ) . Lets say when they are close to each other, its difficult to predict which one is coming from node x and which one from node y.

Best Regards,

AnRF

View Profile   IP Logged
Garrett.Neaves

Analog Design
Engineer

United States
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2011, 12:37pm

analogrf wrote on Apr 14th, 2011, 11:04am:
Thanks indeed for the reply.

What i wanted to know was, if one can track which respective nodes are each of these coming from (now they are associated with the SS model nodes ! ) .

The PZ simulation is always performed on a small signal model.  This small signal model can be one created by the simulator from the DC operating point of a circuit with non-zero DC biasing.  Or it can be the small signal equivalent circuit entered into the simulator by the user.  In either case, if the user manually derives a transfer function, then the user will find that , in general, the poles and zeros of that transfer function do not have a one-to-one correspondence to individual nodes of the circuit.  The poles and zeros are, in general, functions of any of the elements in the circuit.  

A pole or zero in radians per second is equal to the reciprocal of a time constant.  For example, a simple RC time constant.  The R can be between a pair of nodes in the circuit and the C can be between a different pair of nodes.  In this  example, then, their are 4 nodes which correspond to the pole or zero.  And therefore, I think the question of tracking which node is associated with a pole or zero can only be answered by explaining that the question contains an incorrect assumption.

There are situations in which both the R and the C are connected between a node and AC ground, and there are situations where this is an appropriate approximation, but, it is not the general case.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2011, 10:09pm

hi,
plot each nose phase shift, so this gives some clue.

Thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.