The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 1:06pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to calculate phase noise of a frequency modulate signal (Read 2719 times)
icemc2008

How to calculate phase noise of a frequency modulate signal
Apr 18th, 2011, 1:09am

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie in phase noise and jitter. I want to ask how to calculate the phase noise of a frequency modulate signal.

Ex: I have a sine wave of 10MHz and 0.5V - > - 0.5V amplitude. a modulation signal: a sine wave with 10kHz frequence and 1MHz amplitude(deviation).

I want to calculate the phase noise of this modulated signal. please give me a expression and example to calculate it with the data above.

please help me, thanks a lot for your kind and patience!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: How to calculate phase noise of a frequency modulate signal
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2011, 11:11am

hi,
most of the noise in oscillators coming from phase so forget about amplitude noise. Coming to the phase noise, it is the single side band noise to carrier power ratio. But for the present scenario you have given its mainly spur level rather than calling as phase noise, because there only one noise component @ 10k so it reflects as noise spur at your oscillator o/p. spur level is 20log(beta), where beta=frequency deviation/center frequency. Just read FM basics.

get back to m if you have any questions..
Thanks.
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.