The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
linear distortion due to RF filtering (Read 2430 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

linear distortion due to RF filtering
May 15th, 2011, 10:39pm

Hi all,

it is my understanding that linear distortion (in the form of ISI) usually occurs due to group delay variation in baseband/IF filters and not in the RF filters. This is because RF filters used in FDMA systems generally have a significantly wider bandwidth than the desired signal.

My question is, are there any common systems where the group delay performance of the RF filters (in the GHz range) can have a significant impact on the desired signal? The only systems which occur to me are impulse based UWB systems.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: linear distortion due to RF filtering
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2011, 5:29pm

Generally, the critical poles are farther away for the signal of interest in the RF circuits, and closer in the baseband filters.

Think about it, the RF front end passes a wide group of channels, and the baseband is generally designed to pass a single channel.

UWB and anything that is not a narrow channel moduilation scheme (like 99% of whats out there) would be the small group of exceptions, perhaps.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2011, 5:04am

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I'm just wondering if there are any common systems that do require good group delay performance in the RF section. Two-way radios, cordless telephones, GPS maybe? (just throwing out some wild guesses since i'm not familiar with all the standards).

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2011, 7:23pm

Read channels in disk drive read channels (older designs needed this)

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.