The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 29th, 2024, 1:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Urgent - Strong vs Weak inversion (Read 3948 times)
pcardoso73

Portugal
Urgent - Strong vs Weak inversion
May 27th, 2011, 12:02am

Hi all,

Please try to help me out on this. I am simulating a VCO using 130 nm technology.
As BJT's have a lower flicker, I tried the simulation on weak inversion for the MOS, expecting a better behavior than in the strong inversion, in terms of 1/f and 1/f^3. But, by simulations, I cannot reach this conclusion.
Any ideas ?

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
solidstate

Munich, Germany
Re: Urgent - Strong vs Weak inversion
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2011, 10:53am

As far as I know, a mosfet does not become a BJT by biasing it in weak inversion, it just shows similar characteristics. The main reason BJTs have low 1/f noise is because they are not surface devices; 1/f noise in mosfets is due to defects at the Si/Si02 interface. The only solution to reduce that noise is by increasing device area..

View Profile   IP Logged
rfidea

Europe
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2011, 11:38am

solidstate wrote on May 27th, 2011, 10:53am:
As far as I know, a mosfet does not become a BJT by biasing it in weak inversion, it just shows similar characteristics. The main reason BJTs have low 1/f noise is because they are not surface devices; 1/f noise in mosfets is due to defects at the Si/Si02 interface. The only solution to reduce that noise is by increasing device area..

I have the same opinon.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2011, 8:17am

Hi Pedro,

the signals in a VCO are large. So I'm not sure that it's fair to say its in the weak inversion or strong inversion region, since more likely it goes from off to weak inversion to strong inversion and finally to triode region, and then back again. There are a few papers on VCO phase noise around, so probably they will have better information.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2011, 10:43am

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. Maybe I wasn't very clear. Well I know that both devices are different. Please notice that, in weak inversion, the MOS device operates according an exponential law rather then operating according to a square law. Thus here is some similarity with BJT's. With this assumption, I was expecting that the exponential law behavior would cause a better noise performance.
As  solidstate said I just need to increase the size of the MOS to get better 1/f noise, but that is to go in the direction of weak inversion.
Moreover I will have more problems wih parasitic capacitances of the transistor if the gain of he mosfet is high.

Concluding, how is it possible to have a good phase noise behavior on weak inversion  ?

Tanks to all.
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2011, 6:11pm

do some research on phase noise in VCO's there are many papers out there.

IEEE JSSC is your friend here.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.