The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 9:15am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
miller compensatone (Read 5779 times)
vineeth

miller compensatone
Jun 07th, 2011, 12:34pm

hey do anybody have an idea about the maximum value a miller compensation capacitance can take in 90nm tech...

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: miller compensatone
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2011, 5:37pm

How much space you got to waste?
I think you need to give a much more specific question, way too  vague

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vineeth

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2011, 9:03pm

sorry fr that and thanks for the reply.....well my unity gain bandwidth is 10Mhz a gain of 60db and a phase margin greater than 65. my output load would be in pico range.
currently i am getting the specifications with a miller cap of 100p. i wana make sure this is not gona take a large space in 90nm tech.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2011, 9:36pm

first design open loop amplifier with specified dc gain. So you would get gm1 and gm2. Generally you have load cap spec from there your second pole would be gm2/cl, for 60 deg PM at least place UGB 4 times below 2nd pole. so now you wil get ugb and that is gm1/cc.

you can refer razaavi for this.
for all feedback and op amp compensations better follow this site.

http://www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~nagendra/videolectures/doku.php?do=login&id=200901vlsi...

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vineeth

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2011, 2:51am

thanks raja..i was exactly following the same..inorder to kep my ugb well below second pole..i need to increase ma miller cap...actually ugb is one of ma spec(10 Mhz)...and i m able to achieve this using a miller cap of 100pf. pm achieved is around 71..i wana make sure 100pf is not a large value in 90nm tech.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2011, 4:21am

vineeth wrote on Jun 7th, 2011, 9:03pm:
sorry fr that and thanks for the reply.....well my unity gain bandwidth is 10Mhz a gain of 60db and a phase margin greater than 65. my output load would be in pico range.
currently i am getting the specifications with a miller cap of 100p. i wana make sure this is not gona take a large space in 90nm tech.

what a terrible waste of area! I would suggest that you go over the basics of miller compensation once so as to better understand how pole splitting works. as you do not mention either power consumption or noise as a reason, I suppose that those are not critical.

with that out of the way, the general rule is that the compensation cap is NEVER made larger than the output load cap in a good design. you have got gm1, gm2, Cc and Cl. Usually, Cl will be fixed by the application. And gm1 is tied to Cc. So you still have two parameters to play with: gm2 and Cc. Use both! Usually, gm2 is about 4x-5x larger than gm1 for decent phase margin. With that, you will also get a decent value for Cc. And don't forget to nullify that RHP zero using one of the various methods available for that purpose...

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2011, 9:24am

hi vineeth,
general rule of thumb cc=.25*cl.

thanks.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2011, 10:24am

100pf is a ton of real estate inside a chip, that probably needs to be reduced in size.

Funny thing - I have not used pole splitting in many years.

I use a source follower to drive the feedback capacitor, which provides feedback while getting rid of the HF feedforward path. (No resistor anymore in the feedback path that way)

Also, for best swing, outputs are OTA, class AB, so that you can get rail to rail output.

Just my approach, others are viable, but the above has served well for me.

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2011, 2:34am

loose-electron wrote on Jun 8th, 2011, 10:24am:
100pf is a ton of real estate inside a chip, that probably needs to be reduced in size.

I use a source follower to drive the feedback capacitor, which provides feedback while getting rid of the HF feedforward path. (No resistor anymore in the feedback path that way)

Also, for best swing, outputs are OTA, class AB, so that you can get rail to rail output.

i.e. Ahuja compensation. Yes! that's a good way to do it. However, I think the classical Miller compensation scheme is not so bad. At the very least, one is forced to confront all these nasty design issues Wink I actually cannot think of another example circuit which is so popular, yet so poorly understood and so full of traps lurking everywhere.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
vineeth

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2011, 5:59am

i dnt have a load cap specification..but my high gain opamp has a ugb spec of 10mhz and a Imax of 500u...my rhp zero is taken care of and so is the phase margin..bt to reduce ma ugb and hence to push ma dominant pole inside i need to increase ma miller cap..i mt able to keep ma ugb within 10Mhz only with a miller cap minimum of 80pf

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2011, 2:15pm

Ahuja? I would not know, I devised that method about 20 years back and have used it in a number of designs, because of the fact that you get less space to do this, and less process varioance induced pole shifting

vivkr wrote on Jun 10th, 2011, 2:34am:

i.e. Ahuja compensation. Yes! that's a good way to do it. However, I think the classical Miller compensation scheme is not so bad. At the very least, one is forced to confront all these nasty design issues Wink I actually cannot think of another example circuit which is so popular, yet so poorly understood and so full of traps lurking everywhere.

Vivek

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2011, 8:03am

vineeth wrote on Jun 11th, 2011, 5:59am:
i dnt have a load cap specification..but my high gain opamp has a ugb spec of 10mhz and a Imax of 500u...my rhp zero is taken care of and so is the phase margin..bt to reduce ma ugb and hence to push ma dominant pole inside i need to increase ma miller cap..i mt able to keep ma ugb within 10Mhz only with a miller cap minimum of 80pf

Vineeth - you can also reduce ugbw by reducing the gm of the input diff pair by using less current or more Vgs-Vt. 100pF is huge -- I've only needed something like that to lower the ugb to much less than 100kHz to get total noise down. Why do you need such high tail current?

You are going to have very low slew rate. On the other hand it does not necessarily waste area since mim caps can be placed over active circuitry which would otherwise be unused. Still, it is large compared to most designs.

Vivek - I believe LE's method isn't Ahuja. With Ahuja the feedback path is output -> Ccomp-> source of common gate amp ->  gate of output device. With LE method the path is output -> gate of source follower -> Ccomp -> gate of output device.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2011, 9:08am

Then again, maybe I don't understand what you are doing. How do you get rail-to-rail if you have a source follower in the feedback path?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #13 - Jun 14th, 2011, 1:03am

[quote author=RobG link=1307475244/0#11 date=1307977438]vineeth wrote on Jun 11th, 2011, 5:59am:
i dnt

Vivek - I believe LE's method isn't Ahuja. With Ahuja the feedback path is output -> Ccomp-> source of common gate amp ->  gate of output device. With LE method the path is output -> gate of source follower -> Ccomp -> gate of output device.

Rob,

Thanks for pointing out the error. Indeed, the use of a source follower to turn the bidirectional miller coupling cap into a unidirectional (to first order) feedback network would not be the same as the Ahuja method.

The source follower method would also not give rail-rail output swing, although the Ahuja method might work there still. Your comments Jerry?

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2011, 1:29pm

RobG wrote on Jun 13th, 2011, 9:08am:

Then again, maybe I don't understand what you are doing. How do you get rail-to-rail if you have a source follower in the feedback path?

AC coupled signal, Gate drive of source follower is on OTA output, with a current source off of it to keep it biased properly (goes triode when its down, but still works). Source feeds a cap (drive the bottom plate side) and the other side of the cap goes to your feedback point. Done.

Jerry Twomey
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.