The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 11:31am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
miller compensatone (Read 5806 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: miller compensatone
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2011, 1:01am

[quote author=loose-electron link=1307475244/0#14

AC coupled signal, Gate drive of source follower is on OTA output, with a current source off of it to keep it biased properly (goes triode when its down, but still works). Source feeds a cap (drive the bottom plate side) and the other side of the cap goes to your feedback point. Done. [/quote]

Jerry,

Would you mind posting a schematic? Still cannot see how you get rail-rail output with the arrangement you are describing.

By the way, the Ahuja compensation scheme was published in JSSC about 30 years ago (Dec. 1983), around the time when MOS circuits started to phase out BJTs in common telecomm ICs, i.e. when MOS started to go mainstream, and the problem of the RHP zero started to get more attention as BJT amps didn't suffer much from this.

There were countless variations published around this time and earlier which all attempted to get rid of the nasty RHP zero. The scheme using a MOS biased in triode region as a resistor to push out the zero is a little older and was published by Tsividis if I recall correctly. The approach using a source follower which you describe was also published around this time although I cannot recall by whom (The output swing limitation was a problem there as most people want to use two-stage opamps precisely to get high swing).

The difference between using an active stage (source foll./Ahuja) and a passive R is of course one of topology. You are burning a bit more current but you have an active stage. In principle, you can be about gm*ro times better in mitigating the problem loosely speaking.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2011, 9:26am

To add that I agree, 100pF is way too much. To be honest for me 10pF is when a compensation capacitors starts looking too big and when that happens its normally time to think about what else can be done in the design.  

I agree with loose electron that the source follower driving the miller capacitor is a nice technique, but sometimes it can be hard to implement if you're doing a rail to rail design.

You also have to think about which device to use as compensation capacitor. For 90nm core moscaps are no longer a good option because they leak and you can actually see a reduction in DC gain because the leakage grows with gate voltage which you can model in the 1st order as being a resistor in parallel.

The need to use thick oxide moscaps or metal caps may make the area look even less attractive.

Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2011, 9:39am

fonseca.ha wrote on Jun 16th, 2011, 9:26am:
The need to use thick oxide moscaps or metal caps may make the area look even less attractive.

Humberto

Is there a reason you can't put the metal caps over the active area?

View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #18 - Jun 16th, 2011, 12:19pm

RobG wrote on Jun 16th, 2011, 9:39am:
fonseca.ha wrote on Jun 16th, 2011, 9:26am:

Humberto

Is there a reason you can't put the metal caps over the active area?

Hi RobG
When you refer to active area do you mean other circuitry? If so I guess it depends what the circuitry is. The issues may be related to capacitive coupling.. possible psrr degradation depending where that area is connected to. It may affect matching,
100pF of metal cap may also considerably constraint routing for other signals.

Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2011, 12:40pm

I was just responding to your comment that metal caps even look less attractive. They can be pretty capacitive dense (especially if stacked) and can be put over devices. This makes them pretty attractive to me, but figured that maybe something was going on in the process you were talking about. I've never been a fan of gate caps for compensation... the non-linearity is just one more thing to complicate the design.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2011, 4:35pm

See the attached drawing. This is a simplified variant that I use when teaching a mixed signal design course. This version is **not** rail to rail.

However, if you add a level shifter (up), from the output to the feedback  source follower, this can then be a rail to rail functional output.

Picture1_002.jpg

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2011, 12:44am

loose-electron wrote on Jun 16th, 2011, 4:35pm:
See the attached drawing. This is a simplified variant that I use when teaching a mixed signal design course. This version is **not** rail to rail.

However, if you add a level shifter (up), from the output to the feedback  source follower, this can then be a rail to rail functional output.

Hi Loose-electron,
Thank you for sharing the schematic. In this circuit the consumption of the output stage (Q8, Q9) seems to be supply dependent, I say this because the gate of Q9 is driven by the source of Q6 which shares its gate with Q8. Therefore VgsQ9+VgsQ6+VgsQ8=VDD. So if supply changes the Vgs change as well affecting the bias of the output stage.  It may impact psrr.
Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2011, 3:35am

Won't your "up" level shifter (the one not shown here but needed for rail-rail output) clamp hard about 1 Vgs below supply, breaking the feedback loop? The Ahuja scheme puts that level shifter on the other end of the cap avoiding that problem rather neatly.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2011, 3:15pm

fonseca.ha wrote on Jun 17th, 2011, 12:44am:
In this circuit the consumption of the output stage (Q8, Q9) seems to be supply dependent, I say this because the gate of Q9 is driven by the source of Q6 which shares its gate with Q8. Therefore VgsQ9+VgsQ6+VgsQ8=VDD. So if supply changes the Vgs change as well affecting the bias of the output stage.  It may impact psrr.
Humberto

No kidding - as I said before, I use this material in a class to illustrate a concept. The concept being illustrated here is the use of a source follower to eliminate a feedforward path and thus eliminate the resistor in the compensation circuit.

Jerry Twomey
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2011, 3:30pm

vivkr wrote on Jun 17th, 2011, 3:35am:

Won't your "up" level shifter (the one not shown here but needed for rail-rail output) clamp hard about 1 Vgs below supply, breaking the feedback loop? The Ahuja scheme puts that level shifter on the other end of the cap avoiding that problem rather neatly.

Vivek

You may want to provide a schematic for the "Ahuja scheme" so we know what you are talking about.

Your level shifting mentioned implies something like diode connected MOSFEt, and that will have limitations with it shutting off. Agreed. A complimentary driver in the feedback is an alternative. (think AB amp, like a logic inverter in architecture) It does not need to be linear.

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #25 - Jun 20th, 2011, 12:57am

Jerry,

The scheme is described in the JSSC paper I already mentioned in my previous posts (JSSC, Dec. 1983, An Improved Frequency Compensation Technique for CMOS Operational Amplifiers). There is no diode connected MOSFET there. Many variants (with some improvements) also exist, but the concept can be seen here.

Vivek

ahuja_concept.gif
View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #26 - Jun 20th, 2011, 1:16am

Ill have to try this one,
Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #27 - Jun 20th, 2011, 4:50pm

Ah, its a folding method that injects a current differential to drive gain down. Similar to a folded cascode. Interesting.

Thing is, if you are doing op-amps, I would hope that the system is fully differential with common mode feedback. So the ground referenced op-amps shown here are essentially good for illustration but need to be converted appropriatly.

Jerry Twomey
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #28 - Jun 20th, 2011, 4:58pm

In cascode amplifiers you can connect the capacitor to the source of the cascode. It is in the signal path, which can cause peaking if the output gm is much larger than the cascode gm, but it otherwise works pretty well.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #29 - Jun 21st, 2011, 12:08am

Jerry,

Yes! it is kind of a folding. Of course, the figure here is only an illustration. I think the original paper only had a single-ended amp though (it was 1983).
But a fully-differential version is preferable also because you will avoid systematic offset (The level shifter branch is sharing current with the input branch).

Rob,

Indeed, the most popular variant of this scheme is to return the feedback to the cascode. However, as you point out, that causes peaking. My experience was that this peaking makes life quite painful, so much so that you do not really reap the full benefits of using this scheme. It turns out to be better to just put the extra stage although you end up burning more power and adding an extra source of noise to your amp.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.