The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 1st, 2024, 11:28am
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
miller compensatone (Read 5799 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Re: miller compensatone
Reply #30 - Jun 21st, 2011, 7:00am

vivkr wrote on Jun 21st, 2011, 12:08am:
Rob,

Indeed, the most popular variant of this scheme is to return the feedback to the cascode. However, as you point out, that causes peaking. My experience was that this peaking makes life quite painful, so much so that you do not really reap the full benefits of using this scheme. It turns out to be better to just put the extra stage although you end up burning more power and adding an extra source of noise to your amp.

Vivek

What kind of amps are you building? It usually isn't a problem for me unless I'm driving a large DC current.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #31 - Jun 21st, 2011, 7:55am

well! I am not building any of those fancy amps anymore, but I did spend quite a while playing with all these topologies in an earlier job. There were different kinds of applications there for sensor interfaces.

I didn't use it for driving R-loads though as there were hardly any such applications. I found it quite handy as you can get away with very low compensation cap and still be stable. A very handy advantage if making high-voltage amps by the way as those caps can be rather huge and you want to save every bit of area.

Also tried it once when I had a tricky amp to stabilize but gave up on it because the noise requirements were too tight and it does give you more noise. I think I ended up using the return to the cascode in that one.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
sushan

Reply #32 - Aug 29th, 2011, 9:51pm

@Loose-electron: Can you please attach the circuit???

View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #33 - Aug 30th, 2011, 6:03am

100pF is just too wasteful (unless you have lots of silicon space) ...

try the following link for ideas :-
http://cmosedu.com/cmos1/bad_design/bad_design3/bad_design_3.htm

(I think it is similar to what vivek pointed out).

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #34 - Aug 30th, 2011, 3:58pm

sushan wrote on Aug 29th, 2011, 9:51pm:
@Loose-electron: Can you please attach the circuit???

See attached - Q10 & Q11 buffers the output and drives a feedback capacitor, Cc. Because of the Q10 source follower there is no high frequency feed forward.

Capture_002.PNG

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Reply #35 - Aug 31st, 2011, 1:28am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 30th, 2011, 3:58pm:
See attached - Q10 & Q11 buffers the output and drives a feedback capacitor, Cc. Because of the Q10 source follower there is no high frequency feed forward.

This is a classic "indirect feedback" topology that is much better than the standard (and outdated) Miller compensation (but uses a tiny bit more current)

However, I just wish to point out that this is also a classic output stage that is a bit "dangerous" as the output stage current is not defined properly.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.