The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:35pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase Noise Cadence Simulation (Read 6758 times)
pcardoso73

Portugal
Phase Noise Cadence Simulation
Jul 07th, 2011, 1:02pm

Hi all,

I am sorry for posting again on the same topic, but I need to be sure about the simulation's method of Jitter/Phase-noise.

I need to simulate Phase-Noise and Jitter of a crystal VCO. The way to do it is ambiguous.

Sometimes for simulation of the jitter on  VCO, FM simulation of Jitter is used, other times PM is preferred. However on the Ken's document "Predicting the phase noise of PLL-based frequency synthesizers" there is a table ,which says that FM should be used for autonomous circuits and PM for driven circuits. Please clarify this point for me, because is very important in my simulations. In the case of PM, what is the threshold used.

Another question: when I simulate Phase noise using PSS+PNOISE I get a plot of phase-noise, but if I try to plot phase noise on a Jitter analysis the result is different.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Pedro Cardoso

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Phase Noise Cadence Simulation
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2011, 12:48am

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Re: Phase Noise Cadence Simulation
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2011, 3:47am

Thanks. I will read them.

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.