The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Amplifier Compensation (Read 2823 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Power Amplifier Compensation
Aug 08th, 2011, 2:57am

Hi all,

I have heard that it is common in Power Amplifier design for the nonlinearity of one stage to cancel the non-idealities of another stage. For example, one stage may show gain expansion, while the next might show gain compression, and the two effects nullify resulting in linear gain.

Can I get anybody else's perspective on whether this is a good design practice? I'm thinking that although better efficiency may be achieved, the circuit's robustness to process variation may degrade.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Power Amplifier Compensation
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2011, 5:29pm

Hi Arron,

It is feasible and possibly practical to cascade two stages where the IM3 distortion partially cancels out.

I was involved with some academic work looking at a two-stage class AB amplifier with cancellation for CMOS. The outcome of this was that both gm and Cgs nonlinearity matter in the cancellation approach, so both must be dealt with. After a lot of analysis, it was found that both can be dealt with and track over process, but the IM3 improvement over PVT was a minimum of 10dBc. This may not sound like much, but it can make a difference in efficiency when trying to meet a ACPR/ACLR spec.

An important point here is that you really must "need" the incremental improvement in order to put forth the effort it takes to insure the benefit (i.e. it is not a trivial slam dunk in linearity improvement). There is a R&D cost!

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2011, 6:21pm

Thanks for sharing. 10 dB is quite respectable but I guess its quite borderline in terms of if its worth the time investment. It also can improve efficiency since you can design a more nonlinear amplifier.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2011, 3:31am

Yes, the objective is better linearity and better power efficiency. If you are not achieving better power efficiency at a given level of distortion (dBc) then you really didn't linearize the amplifier.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.