The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:37pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DLL verilogA using transition delay function (Read 12584 times)
newic

DLL verilogA using transition delay function
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:36am

I write a simple DLL circuit using verilogA.
I use a transition function to implement delay function in the VCDL delay cells as below:

Code:
`include "constants.vams"
`include "disciplines.vams"

module delay_var(din,dout, vctrl);

parameter real tr=0 from [0:inf);
	  parameter real tt=1p from [0:inf);
	  parameter integer dir=0 from [-1:+1];
	  parameter real vcc=1 from (0:inf);
	  parameter real threshold=0.5 from [0:inf);

parameter real vctrl_min=0 from [0:inf);
	  parameter real vctrl_max=vcc from (0:inf);
	  parameter real td_min=20p from [0:inf);
	  parameter real td_max=80p from (td_min:inf);

output  dout;
	  input   din, vctrl;
	  voltage din, dout, vctrl;

integer  state;
	  real     td, td2;

analog begin

td = (V(vctrl)-vctrl_min)*(td_max - td_min) / (vctrl_max - vctrl_min) + td_min;

//bound the delay
		    if( td > td_max)
				td = td_max ;
		    if( td < td_min)
				td = td_min ;

@(cross(V(din) - threshold, dir, tt))
		    state = (V(din)-threshold>=0);

V(dout) <+ vcc*transition(state ? 1: 0,td,tr,tr,tt);
	  end
endmodule

The DLL is able to lock to the rising edge but the duty-cycle is distorted by rise_time/2 (in this case is 10ps/2=5ps), shown in the diagram  
The frequency of the output (clkout) is remained to same but with minor duty-cycle distortion.
How could I solve this?

ps: i have put small tolerance to 0.5ps

DLL_waveform.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: DLL verilogA using transition delay function
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2011, 1:43am

Perhaps I just don't understand the application, but I cannot understand the question you are asking. I believe I can understand the model you gave, but I don't know what behavior it is exhibiting that you don't like (what duty-cycle distortion?), nor do I know what behavior you are expecting.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
newic

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2011, 2:14am

i expect the DLL will lock to the clkref without duty-cycle distortion. I do not know why it exhibits different delay between tr-tr & tf-tf since the vctrl is constant. in short, i am not sure what went wrong.

for application wise, it is just a basic DLL to alight the clock out to clkref, similar to PLL but it does not change frequency.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2011, 9:28am

It is really hard to help you because you did not give the dll and you show signals without describing what those signals are and how they relate to the model you have given.

-Ken

newic

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2011, 5:03pm

sorry about that. I thought it is a standard DLL schematic which the signal names will be self-explanatory
i upload the verilogA schematic. The PFD-CP is modified from the designer-guide webpage.

the PFD connection is inverted due to delay cell characterisitic is inverted

DLL_sch.png
View Profile   IP Logged
newic

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2011, 7:21pm

here is another waveforms with different initial voltage at the cap.
it shows the correct behavior where the rising edge & falling edge of the clkout & clkref are aligned together.

note: exactly apple to apple comparison.
note: simulator = spectre, moderate mode. ( tried  conservative mode, the previous problem still occur)

why the spectre produces different result?

DLL_waveform2.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2011, 1:17am

I am not intimately familiar with DLL's, but I know Verilog-AMS pretty well. If you require that someone must know what you know, you greatly restrict the number of people who can answer your question. And by restricting the information you give, you may be concealing the error. You are not alone. Few people give enough information when they ask a question.

You still did not clarify what you meant by 'duty-cycle distortion'. Is the problem that the delay on the rising edge is different that the delay on the falling edge? If so, could you regenerate the plots, this time showing the value of the module's state variable along with the other signals. We need to know if the rise and fall time differ, or whether state is staying high longer than expected.

Could you also show the parameters used on the delay cells.

Also, why do you use the dir parameter in the cross function. Would you expect the model to work if dir was set to something other than 0?

-Ken

newic

Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2011, 7:07pm

i have no intention to conceal the information

the default params are used in the delay_var cell.

duty-cycle-distortion is observed because the delay tr-tr & delay tf-tf are different, but the verilogA should generate the same delay. (since   the vctrl is constant)

dir=0 is used because all transitions tr & tf are required. Cannot use +1 or -1, otherwise the output will have only one transition.

the previous plots have shown out all the signals. not sure what else you needed.

One weird thing on the spectre simulator, if i use other initial condition, the behavior is look perfect (in my last picture where the tr/tr & tf/tf of clkref & clkout are aligned together.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:19am

I am not implying that you intended to conceal information. Rather, I am saying that you neglected to give information that would be needed by others that are trying to help you by answering your question. I mention it because it is very common. Often when people ask questions they only provide the information they think they would need to answer the question. I am trying to encourage people to instead think about what would be needed by people with different types of expertise. I even gave an example. I know Verilog-A well but DLLs not so well. The fact that you did not describe the the overall structure of the DLL made it difficult for me to help you.

I am sorry if it feels like I am picking on you. That is not my intent. I am just trying to get people to be a little better about the way they ask their questions so that:
1. it is easier for people to answer the questions, and
2. the questions get answered more quickly.

Could you show a plot of the value of the module's state variable. We need to know if the rise and fall time differ, or whether state is staying high longer than expected.

-Ken

newic

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:42am

hi

i am alright. I actually learn a lot from this forum!

how could i plot the value of the module's state variable?

DLL function works as like PLL, just that VCDL (voltage control delay line) replaces the VCO in the PLL. Thus, VCDL only changes phase/delay time, it cannot change its frequency. DLL is mostly used to aligned clk edge to a refclk edge to eliminate any skew (eg: clk tree skew etc) or generate accurate multi-phases. Depends on how we connect the clkout in different applications.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2011, 1:21am

You cannot plot a state variable from the schematic, instead you have to bring up the signal browser.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.