The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 4:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VHDL-AMS VBIC model? (Read 3485 times)
the_pd

VHDL-AMS VBIC model?
Sep 16th, 2011, 4:09pm

I am in need of a VHDL-AMS VBIC implementation. So far, it looks like Verilog-A is the language of choice, however. Anyone know where I could find a VBIC model in VHDL-AMS? Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: VHDL-AMS VBIC model?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2011, 1:45pm

Strange mix of platfoms.

Verilog A or AMS is generally used for functional level models, not transistor level models.

If you need to simulate at the transistor level, perhaps you should consider using a EDA platform with a Spice-Spectre type of simulator?

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: VHDL-AMS VBIC model?
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2011, 8:20am

loose-electron wrote on Sep 18th, 2011, 1:45pm:
Verilog A or AMS is generally used for functional level models, not transistor level models.

Jerry - You've missed the revolution in transistor-level compact modeling: almost all the latest transistor models (PSP, BSIMSOI, VBIC, Mextram, Hicum, ... and soon BSIM6) are written/developed in Verilog-A.  Spectre, HSpice, Eldo, etc. all have Verilog-A compilers.  The users can then modify the source code to add new equations / model features.

That said, it is Verilog-A; I can't recall ever seeing a compact model written in VHDL-AMS, other than maybe a basic diode as an example.  Verilog-AMS added a bunch of features to the language in LRM 2.2 to make compact modeling easier, and that's where the developers have gone.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.