The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
smith chart (Read 3911 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
smith chart
Oct 01st, 2011, 7:48am

hello,
i was trying to solve a problem in RF design book in th lee. The problem is about smith chart for lossy transmission line, so i have started by assuming z0=a+ib, but some different curves i am getting. have any one tried this? otherwise can any one give me suggesion how to start

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: smith chart
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2011, 5:30pm

Raja,

Adding a complex component to the tline will not give you loss,  for a single frequency you could look at it as a starting angle on a tline of a impedance |a+jb| arg(a+jb) or a tline of characteristic impedance in series with an inductor at a single frequency.
Be careful using this over frequency its even less of what you are looking for, since complex numbers always have a frequency component tied to the complex number.  1/sC or  s*L etc.. One way to approximate a lossy tline is to break it into smaller sections where you can approximate the loss by adding a resistor to an AC ground and or a series resistor often as your needs require.  
To be even more accurate a lossy Tline has several lossy mechanisms.  The three dominant are dc resistance loss due to frequency dependent dielectric constant Er(f).  And finally skin effect which is basically a resistor R=Rdc+Rse*sqrt(f/fo) where fo is the frequency where the skin effect starts effecting the resistance.

http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2011, 6:40pm

Hi Raja,

I do not think you can use a regular smith chart for this purpose - you would have to create some sort of a special version of the smith chart which would have different characteristics than the standard smith chart (eg as you traverse a length of the transmission line, you cannot use a constant reflection coefficient circular contour - it would have a spiral like contour). There is a minimal discussion of this at

http://www.mendeley.com/research/power-reflection-coefficient-analysis-complex-i...

and also the paper referred to in there (kurakowa), though this is a far simplified case than your scenario. There might be some other and better references on this topic. I think the best approach is that advocated by rfcooltools which is to use discrete valued resistors to model the loss.

View Profile   IP Logged
3dsmithchart

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2011, 7:06am

Dear Raja and dear vp1953, most of the rf programs use to the kurowava formulation, however if you would use any formulation given you have to think that (az+b)/(cz+d)  is a mobius tranformation that maps lines to circles or circles into circles. the smith chart is the result of (z-1)/(z+1) applied to a grid shape. if you use the complex normalization impedance you still get (z-1)/(z+1) after simplifications but you might get a module bigger than 1 since z is not anymore in the RHP. You cannot see this in the rf tools since mostly they use another formulation: the kurowava
On the site http://www.3dsmithchart.com/ you have a free tool that generalizes the Smith chart on the  Riemann sphere and you may solve this pb too with a trick. It is based on a 2011 new concept introduced by my colleagues and myself in a  June MWCL paper.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.