The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 3rd, 2024, 1:25pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vdd tied to ground in AC mode (Read 9294 times)
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Vdd tied to ground in AC mode
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2011, 1:08am

loose-electron wrote on Oct 23rd, 2011, 7:33pm:
AC analysis tends to mean looking at the frequency response of a system.
Small signal tends to mean looking at the signal processing characterisitics while ignoring DC bias issues.
That is not precise, but the term AC analysis comes from simulator origins, and small signal term comes from hand analysis methods.
thats the history of it...
They overlap and are somewhat similar.

I do not completely agree with loose-electron.
*At first, the term "ac analysis" is much older than computer-based simulations. It is a set of rules used to calculate the frequency characteristics of passive and/or active networks.
Example: The transfer function of a simple passive RC lowpass 1/(1+sRC) is based on these rules: In this case, the impedance Xc=1/sC. This expression - and, thus, the transfer function - applies for sinusoidal signals (that is the meaning of "ac") only!.
*Secondly, both expressions are not "similar" and "do not overlap".
They cannot be compared because they express different principles, which are however closely related.

- A small signal analysis assumes that all relations between the state variables (currents and voltages within a circuit) are linear.
That means: Linearizing all functions around the dc values (bias point).
This leads to the (funny) result that you can use kilovolts as input voltages during small-signal analyses. Such a small-signal analysis can be performed for any kind of input sgnal (squarewave, for example).

- The ac analysis uses this principle and calculates all frequency-dependent properties of a network with sinusoidal excitation - also based on linear equations only (which certainly is always an approximation - with acceptable deviations in most cases).

Thank you

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2011, 2:25am

I would like to add to the previous post that besides linear, the system should be time invariant as well. In such a way it's possible to apply LTI system theory to circuits.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2011, 3:11pm

Lex wrote on Oct 24th, 2011, 2:25am:
I would like to add to the previous post that besides linear, the system should be time invariant as well. In such a way it's possible to apply LTI system theory to circuits.

They are both a linear estimation methodology.

Looking at a few of my older textbooks from the era prior to simulators, shows that it was referred to as "Network Analysis" in 1976 - In another book from 1986 the term "transfer function" gets used. The term "AC analysis" started getting used after it was applied to the function of spectral analysis using simulators.

The term "phasor analysis" also gets used in some earlier texts.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.