The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 5th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
measuring op amp specs (Read 2418 times)
mixed_signal

measuring op amp specs
Oct 30th, 2011, 12:53pm

Hi,
I have designed a single input single output  amplifier for low power applications. It has dynamic biasing and has two phases: biasing phase and amplifying phase and has clocks. I want to measure the slew rate, settling time, input reffered noise, input comon mode range, output common range, offset. How can i measure them systematically.

For slew rate measurement, i know that opamp is configured as voltage follower and then step input is given. What should i do in case single input single output case?

Should i use any feedback?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: measuring op amp specs
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2011, 1:26pm

What do you mean by dynamic biasing, is bias current chages over the operation? Any how to for all measurements use feedback at least dc -ve fb and may be for ac openloop is ifne.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2011, 7:06pm

Yes the bias current changes and more important is that the amplifier has a biasing phase where it is switched to biasing circuitry and gets biased. During amplifying phase input is applied and biasing circuit is cut off. There are capacitors to keep it biased.

View Profile   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2011, 8:03am

BTW, measuring SR as follower is not always sooo good. Image your output is rail-to-rail, but input not. So you will overdrive the input, if this is not the case in your real application you may get inconsistant results.
Better always do both standard tests and test very close to the actual application (maybe a 100X-amp, not a unity-gain-buffer).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.