The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 4th, 2024, 11:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bandwidth of Oscillator (Read 975 times)
Brandon

Bandwidth of Oscillator
Nov 16th, 2011, 1:37pm

Attached is schematic of oscillator whose output frequency depends on the LC tank circuit. The inductance by which this oscillator seems to be 'stable' is 1nH - 10mH. I need to know what is the purpose of the negative feedback with a bypass capacitor to ground and the purpose of the resistor network on top. Is there an effective way to modify the circuit to handle higher inductor values?

thanks

osc.png
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Bandwidth of Oscillator
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2011, 1:58pm

hello,
1.What is your Frequency of interst? Why you want to maximize the L, you dont have smaller inductors?

2. -ve feedback(at least DC) through is essential because you need -ve resistance to compensate finite Q of the tank. Top resisters are for biasing the opamp i guess.

3. Try to post small schematics so that it will easier to view.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Brandon

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2011, 2:25pm

This oscillator will be used to determine the value of inductance or capacitance by measuring the output frequency from a microcontroller.
That is why I need to increase the bandwidth. The circuit is attached again.

osc_001.png
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2011, 11:14pm

Hi Brandon,

I think the negative feedback is used to provide a DC bias to the negative input pin of the op-amp. If you want the circuit to work for higher L values, maybe you can increase the size of the two large capacitors. You should simulate it to verify.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2011, 11:59pm

Yes, of course the negative R-C feedback is necessary to ensure a bias point at approx. half of the supply voltage.
This is the clasisical bias concept for single supply circuits:
DC bias at the pos. input and negative feedback for dc unity gain of the opamp.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.