The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:02am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to predict the reference spur before PLL design (Read 5061 times)
lonemy

hefei anhui china
How to predict the reference spur before PLL design
Nov 03rd, 2011, 10:34pm

Hello everyone:

We can predict PLL phase noise before PLL circuit design, but how can we predict the reference spur?

Thanks~

View Profile lonemy   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: How to predict the reference spur before PLL design
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2011, 2:52am

hello,
When you can predict phase noise why can't for reference spur?
Mainly Cp mismatch, filter oder and Kvco will impact reference spurs (when you have clean supply for CP it's okay to think about only reference spurs but when you have some ripple upon the supply you get some supply spurs), So please check mismatch in CP, roughly calculate and run loop simulation. better use ideal divider and if posb use ideal vco so that you can estimate fastly.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
rajkumar palwai
Community Member

Sunnyvale, California
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2011, 9:01am

lonemy,
Reference spurs are mainly caused by the charge pump leakage and mismatch currents. Charge pump mismatch curents are mainly caused by the process mismatches and finite o/p impedances of charge pumps. You can have a rough idea of their typical values and then calculate the ref spurs power level. Similarly, in any technology u will have some idea about the leakage currents and u can calculate spur because of it.

This article will help u in calculations
"design of high performance charge pumps in phase locked loops" by woogeun rhee

View Profile   IP Logged
lonemy

hefei anhui china
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2011, 2:08am

Dear All:

Thank you very much. I use behavior PLL model and set the CP up/down current different based on real ckt Monte Carlo simulation, then I FFT the VCO output waveform, so I think I can get the reference spur.

View Profile lonemy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.