The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 5:03am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
time constant doubt (Read 976 times)
singh
Community Member

time constant doubt
Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:35am

i need to model an exponential signal with second order time constant tau1 and tau2
i know that general equation is  f(t) = A . exp(-t/tau)
how to write it for two time constants tau1 and tau2.Is it like f(t) = exp(-t/(tau+tau2)) ?
i need to multiply the above function with second order low pass RC filter transfer function ( in which i have r1c1 = tau1 and r2c2 = tau2) to get the output.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: time constant doubt
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:44am

hello,
could you please explain little bit.
Why you want to model like that? you can write like the following  as well k1*exp(-tau1)+k2*exp(-tau2)

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
singh
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:49am

i need to multiply my exponential function with the transfer function of second order RC filter ( time constant tau1 and tau2)

when it was first order RC filter (with time const tau) , i just used f(t) = A * exp(-t/tau) and multiplied it with filter transfer function TF_1  to get output = abs(f*TF_1)

But now i am using second order filter and need to do the same stuff. So what to use as my signal..i mean now there are two time constants. tau1 and tau2....how to write equation for decaying signal using both?

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2011, 9:06am

Hello Singh,

from your information one can derive that your filter has two REAL poles at s1=-1/tau1 and s2=-1/tau2.

In this case, the solution of the describing diff. equation in the time domain will consist of two exponential elements: A1*exp(s1t)+A2*exp(s2t).
Thus, you have simply to add two exponential expressions.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
singh
Community Member

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2011, 2:42am

thank you all for your responses

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.