The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 1:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input referred noise from PNOISE sim (Read 4658 times)
Sanjay Rajasekhar

Input referred noise from PNOISE sim
Dec 10th, 2011, 7:10am

Hi,

I need some help explaining a "discrepancy" in my spectreRF simulation. I am working on reducing the thermal noise of the first stage integrator of a SD modulator. As is the norm for a newbie, I started out with an ideal model of the integrator and tried to do some experiments to gain some understanding. So here are the details of my setup. It is a very simple switched cap integrator, nothing fancy - the input caps are swapped in every phase.

-The implementation is fully differential. But the input voltage in the application is single ended. So the negative input of the modulator is always 0V.
-The amplifier is an ideal voltage-controlled-voltage-source of gain 1e7. And it is noiseless
-The switches have on-resistance of 1ohm and the input caps are about 350fF. These switches are noiseless again. Fs=10MHz
-There is no noise coming from any of the elements in the circuit. I add only a noise source in series with the input
-The noise source is made up of a noisy R and a C, the noise voltage across the C is mirrored using a voltage controlled voltage source of gain one. The output of this VCVS is applied in series with the input source. So the input noise source has power kT/C and this power is spread over the bandwidth defined by R and C. The bandwidth of the noiseless switches and caps are much higher than the noise source bandwdith so I'm not losing any noise power.
-At the output of the integrator there are two track-and-hold circuits cascaded and operating in a ping-pong fashion. The reason is that I want all my noise power at the output within the [0,Fs/2] band. I did not want to see broadband noise on my defined "output" nodes. So the final track and hold cap sees just sampled noise values.

My intention is to perform the pnoise analysis, input refer the noise power and get back the kT/C that I forced at the input. So here is what I do to get that.

1. Perform PSS, PAC and PNOISE (I use enough sidebands)
2. For PAC, I force an AC source at the input, and the transfer function of the whole thing is readily available.
3. I take the output noise density from PNOISE, divide it by the transfer function from PAC squared - I get the input referred noise density
4. I integrate the input noise density from 0 to Fs/2, and expect it to be equal to kT/C

So here is the thing I cannot explain - the resulting noise power I get at the input is in the vicinity of kT/C but depends on the bandwidth of the input noise source that I put in my schematic (the noise source bandwidth is always many times higher than Fs)
1. If I have a very large bandwidth noise source at the input in the schematic, the simulated input noise power comes out to be exactly 1/2*kT/C
2. As I reduce the bandwidth of the noise source, it gets closer to the expected kT/C
2. If I severely reduce the bandwidth of the noise source the input noise from simulation goes above kT/C

Why is this happening? Is it some sort of correlation effect between samples (smaller the bandwidth, more the correlation, and hence a smaller power source to generate the same power at the output)? I stick in a noise source of bandwidth defined by R and C, but when I refer it back using the above procedure, I always expect the noise power to be in [0,Fs/2] band. So are the correlation dynamics different and is that the reason?

I'd appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks and regards,
Sanjay

View Profile   IP Logged
Sanjay Rajasekhar

Re: Input referred noise from PNOISE sim
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2011, 8:06pm

Hi,

A couple of additions/corrections to my previous post.

1. The input is double sampled in the integrator, i.e. twice in a 100ns period (10MHz clock), because the input caps are swapped in each phase.

2. To get the input noise power from the input referred noise density (from the pss+pac+pnoise procedure outlined before), I dont integrate from [0,Fs/2] (Fs=10MHz). The integrator has a null point at 10MHz, because input is sampled twice in a 10MHz period. The input noise density begins to peak up due to this null and integrating it gives me a noise power that is many orders of magnitude higher than kT/C. So I calculate the average noise density from 10Hz to 100KHz, where the thing is pretty flat and assuming this noise density is going to "stay", I just multiply that noise density by Fs/2 and compare that with kT/C.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong here? Please let me know

Thanks,
Sanjay

View Profile   IP Logged
Rinoz

Acireale
Re: Input referred noise from PNOISE sim
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2015, 2:13am

Hi Sanjay,

I think that after 4years you don't remember anything (I have a little memory Smiley) but I want to ask you some info about your problem because is the same as mine.

Do you have fixed your problem?
If yes, how?

The ping-pong fashion, works as a ideal SAMPLER instead a SAMPLE_AND_ HOLD (the difference should be a sinc(x) shape of the output noise?

Many thanks,
Rino

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.