The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 8th, 2024, 7:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
feed Forward compensation (Read 1627 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
feed Forward compensation
Dec 22nd, 2011, 2:55am

hello,
i have little bit confusion about feed forward stage noise contribution to overall opamp input refereed noise.

Let us say i have two stage opamp and around this opamp i have connected FF stage, now i guess FFf stage will add some current noise at the o.p but when referring to  input voltage, i guess it will divided by ovaral gain so it's contribution is small. Is any thing wrong. becaz i read some where saying that FF compensation add more noise.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Re: feed Forward compensation
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2011, 2:16pm

I guess, the output current noise due to FF amplifier should be divided by transconductance of the FF OTA. What do you mean by "overall gain"? There are two transfer functions voltage -voltage for the opamp and voltage-current for a FF amplifier. Thus, you have two independent input referred noise sources.....

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2011, 2:06am

hello,
overal gain means sum of the two path gains, and could you explain why it has divide with only gmf?

Thanks,
Raj.

HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2011, 4:08am

Hi Raja,

If overall gain means sum of two path gains, that means you are adding the signal independently amplified by each path. Same applies to noise: one noise source is processed through one path, the other one through the other path, and the add at the output. so each one needs to be referred back with the corresponding gain of each path.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2011, 4:36am

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 30th, 2011, 2:06am:
hello,
overal gain means sum of the two path gains, and could you explain why it has divide with only gmf?
Thanks,
Raj.

Input referred noise is a kind of fictional thing. The source of the current noise at the output of a circuit is an FF OTA, and not the opamp. So, we divide current noise by transconductance of the OTA.
Another look at the problem is that, opamp is a voltage-voltage amplifier and has no voltage-to-current gain. So, you cannot divide output current by opapm gain since it has units (V/V)

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2011, 5:06am

hello sir,
please note that there is no voltage amplifier, every where you have current and some how you are making node impedance lower if you want to get voltage at that note. One more thing when you want to use feedforward stage o/p node should be high impedance.

Come to our point of discussion, FF stage inject some noise into o/p node, which gets converted into voltage now you can refer it to any where you want. Please check the attached file.

Thanks,
raj.

designersguide.png
sushan

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2012, 8:32pm

Hi raja,

I have little confusion. "every where you have current and some how you are making node impedance lower if you want to get voltage at that note" Isnt the other way. If the node impedance is lowered, we are devoid of Swing. So, to get voltage, impedance shld be made high. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 5:28pm

Hi Raj,

for the circuit you drew, it looks like you can simply take the output noise current * RL, and divide by the overall gain (as you said yourself).

Quote:
i have little bit confusion about feed forward stage noise contribution to overall opamp input refereed noise.

However, I'm a bit confused about where the op-amp is. I think if you included some resistive feedback path, I would need another look at the schematic before coming to such a simple conclusion about the noise performance.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 3:33am

Quote:
hello sir,
please note that there is no voltage amplifier, every where you have current and some how you are making node impedance lower if you want to get voltage at that note.

OK. Terminology "opamp" confuses me since opamp by definition has low output impedance and, consequently, is a voltage amplifier
Quote:
One more thing when you want to use feedforward stage o/p node should be high impedance.

Don't understand this statement. Impedance of the loading network is determined by the nature of a signal that you have at the output,i.e voltage or current.  

Quote:
Come to our point of discussion, FF stage inject some noise into o/p node, which gets converted into voltage now you can refer it to any where you want. Please check the attached file.

The calculation you do are correct. Also, I believe that FF stage adds additional noise especially if FF coefficient is large.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2012, 4:37am

hello all,
here my intention is to show how FF stage noise gets converted into voltage and how we can refer it back to input through the whole gain of the amplifier (i don't want to say opamp here, i kept resistance at the o/p to represent the conversion process rather real load).

@Vladislav: yes, no need to have high impedance there...

Thanks,
Raj.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.