The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 7:45am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
highly linear current mirrors (Read 17987 times)
sandman
Community Member

highly linear current mirrors
Dec 24th, 2011, 4:12pm

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a highly linear current mirror as a transconductance stage of a passive current-mixer. The mixer is driven by a current source that drives current into the mirror input. The output current (from the mirror) is then driven into a load which the passive mixer then (voltage) switches into the load of the mixer (resistive, small). This is for a transmit chain.

I've tried some basic topologies (e.g. source degeneration) which give me decent results for linearity (> +30dBm), but it burns up a lot of current and is noisy. Could anyone suggest a very linear (>30dBm) transconductance or a means to further linearise a current mirror and yet achieve <2nV/√Hz (<-160dBm/Hz) output noise floor with some small gain ? Or even any seminal papers or interesting designs/topologies ?

I know this isn't all of the information about my design, but I would be happy to answer any questions and would welcome any suggestions !

cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: highly linear current mirrors
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2011, 2:08am

hello,
even i was thinking of high linear opamp, degeneration would give linearity up to some extent. Coming to current mirror to get high linearity use vds matching by using feedback through some opamp and to get less noise make sure that your mirroring ratio is small.

Thanks,
raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2011, 4:03pm

A current source, by design is high impedance.
High impedance = high R equivalent for noise.
Current source will always be noisy, due to being a current source!

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Dec 26th, 2011, 1:18am

hello looseelectron,
high impedance means higher voltage noise, but normally current sourse will be terminated by lower impedance with some kind of cmfb or some sort of feedback makes impedance lower. so i guess decreasing current source current noise will be help full. But if current current source terminated by high impedance what you are saying is correct.

One more thing do you aware some kind of opamp linearization techniques apart from degeneration.

Thanks,
Raj.

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2011, 7:54am

sandman wrote on Dec 24th, 2011, 4:12pm:
Hi,

I've tried some basic topologies (e.g. source degeneration) which give me decent results for linearity (> +30dBm), but it burns up a lot of current and is noisy. Could anyone suggest a very linear (>30dBm) transconductance or a means to further linearise a current mirror and yet achieve <2nV/√Hz (<-160dBm/Hz) output noise floor with some small gain ? Or even any seminal papers or interesting designs/topologies ?

For noise, I suggest starting out with the equations and substituting 2*I/(Vgs-Vt) for gm in your final equations. This will give you a physical feel for the trade-offs that you have. Also, you should be able to look at the simulation results and determine the contribution of each device in the circuit after doing your noise analysis.

Current mirrors are pretty basic: the lower the gm, the lower the noise they produce. If you lower the gm by decreasing the width, the mirror will be faster. If you lower gm by increasing the length, the mirror will be slower. Physically, lowering gm means making Vgs-Vt as large as possible for a given current so a low noise current mirror will need lots of headroom.

Alternatively, resistive degeneration accomplishes the same thing, and is even better for 1/f noise. Drop as much voltage as you can stand across the resistor. I do not know why this didn't work for you, but you must be misinterpreting the results or describing the circuit incorrectly to us. Furthermore, your current consumption should stay the same - I suspect you are doing something wrong as the current consumption increase should reduce the noise, assuming you kept the gain the same.

The noise could also be generated before the mirror: garbage in, garbage out.

I assume finite output impedance of the mirror is causing your linearity problem. Resistive degeneration will help as you found out, as will a cascode. The former will reduce noise,; the latter will add negligible noise for a given operating point, but the bigger impact of the cascode will be loss in headroom which will limit how much vgs-vt you can have. In other words, you will lose headroom by adding the cascode, forcing you to reduce vgs-vt of the mirror (or the IR drop if degenerated). The loss in headroom will force a design with higher noise.

rg

« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2011, 10:21am by RobG »  
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2011, 12:48pm

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 26th, 2011, 1:18am:
hello looseelectron,
high impedance means higher voltage noise, but normally current sourse will be terminated by lower impedance with some kind of cmfb or some sort of feedback makes impedance lower. so i guess decreasing current source current noise will be help full. But if current current source terminated by high impedance what you are saying is correct.

One more thing do you aware some kind of opamp linearization techniques apart from degeneration.

Thanks,
Raj.

Raj, ok agreed when you include the termination.

Linearization of op-amps?
Um, when its in a feedback configuration, the general tool
is to increase the open loop gain, and the BW, so you
have sufficient gain at the frequency of interest.

Generally, the above is the path to take.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2011, 7:20am

Hi sandman,

just wondering why do you have a current input in the first place? Is the entire transmit chain current-mode?

regarding your question, you have two figures that need optimization: noise and linearity. So I guess you need to do some kind of study to see which type of current mirror offers the best trade-off.

Alternatively, convert your current into a voltage using an op-amp in feedback. It can be a simple op-amp design to minimize noise.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2011, 7:47am

hello aaroon,
i feel working with current mode is better from noise point of view, because it involves less circuitry.

I didn't understand "some kind of study to see which type of current mirror offers the best trade-off", could you please explain better...

Thanks,
Raj.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2011, 2:46am

Hi Raj,

Quote:
some kind of study to see which type of current mirror offers the best trade-off

I suppose that different current mirrors offer different noise and linearity tradeoffs. For example, a cascode current mirror may be more linear since under large signal conditions, it is less affected by the output voltage (total Vds). However, because more devices are involved, it is likely to be noisier than a simple current mirror. So the question becomes, for the same noise budget, which current mirror offers the highest linearity? There are of course other tradeoffs.

My comment about possibly using an op-amp refers to the fact that a transconductance stage is needed at some point anyway. Unless you have a current-output DAC and a current-mode transmit chain. Not sure exactly how that would be implemented.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2011, 3:26am

hello aaron_do,
yes you are correct, there is some sort of trade off but a cascode will improve linearity a lot but it won't add too much of noise. Any how good reply regarding current mirror. Do you know any architecture which matches vds very accurately, i heard some architectures which matches Vds by op amp but they have both +ve and _ve feedback.

Regarding current mode, what i feel is working with current mode gives better noise and less complicated circuits, because for any filter you can do multiplication, subtraction and all other operation with good current mirror where as in voltage mode you have to use opamps.  Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
raj.

Thanks,
Raj.

sandman
Community Member

Reply #10 - Dec 30th, 2011, 9:19am

loose-electron wrote on Dec 25th, 2011, 4:03pm:
A current source, by design is high impedance.
High impedance = high R equivalent for noise.
Current source will always be noisy, due to being a current source!

Hi loose-electron,

I have a current-source (sink rather!) DAC at the input of my current-mirror (CM) amplifier. The input current noise of the CM amplifier is amplified by the Gm (including degeneration,) of the diode connected device and then the mirroring ratio (>1 assumed).

The output current noise of this combination sees the parallel combination r_out (small signal) of the CM and the R_load, which is typically smaller than r_out, resulting in a smaller output voltage noise (than across r_out alone). I wonder then if what you say about the r_out still holds, taking the load into picture.

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2011, 9:21am

raja.cedt wrote on Dec 26th, 2011, 1:18am:
hello looseelectron,

Raj, I agree with you. I didn't notice your comment before I replied to loose-electron's previous comment. The voltage noise is load dependent although it is imperative to keep the current noise as low as possible.

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2011, 9:33am

Hi Aaron,

aaron_do wrote on Dec 27th, 2011, 7:20am:
just wondering why do you have a current input in the first place? Is the entire transmit chain current-mode?

regarding your question, you have two figures that need optimization: noise and linearity. So I guess you need to do some kind of study to see which type of current mirror offers the best trade-off.

Alternatively, convert your current into a voltage using an op-amp in feedback. It can be a simple op-amp design to minimize noise.

I have  current-'sink' DAC that drives modulated signal current into the CM. The CM amplifier drops the current across a load. The voltage across this is switched by a passive mixer. This is for a Tx. chain, so the mixers draw no current (theoretically).

I set out to explore the noise equations for a CM amplifier by hand but this has be expected-ly slow. A couple of papers treat noise in CM's but only through simulation results.

Interestingly, I haven't come across any papers or articles on the linearity of the various current-mirrors. Any suggestions ?

I did consider using op-amps at the input of the mixer. But, I needed some gain control and an output noise lower than -160dBm/Hz. Some basic analysis ruled out an Op-Amp configuration where I tried to enhance linearity.. What kind of structure did you have in mind ?

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2011, 10:13am

hello sandman,
why don't you post some rough sketch of your complete ckt. I am not that good at mixers. But being a analog guy i can comment on CM and opamps.

Coming to current mirrors what do you mean by linearity, i mean increase the input current and check at the o/p current plot these two and check the ratio and till what point of input current your gain drops till 1 db or some margin. Coming to current mirror if you keep on increasing current, Vov start increase and this intern effects the mirroring ration, if you are facing this problem i would have a cascode or some vds matching. Did you tried like this. One more thing whats the max input current of your current mirror?

Till now i didn't find any papers on CM noise, could you please tell me those names...

Thanks,
Raj.

RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2011, 11:42am

sandman wrote on Dec 30th, 2011, 9:33am:
I set out to explore the noise equations for a CM amplifier by hand but this has be expected-ly slow. A couple of papers treat noise in CM's but only through simulation results.

Where is the hangup? The noise source should just be current sources in parallel with the devices in the mirror. The analysis is pretty straight forward from there. As I mentioned earlier, about all you can do to reduce thermal noise is increase the overdrive (i.e. Vgs-Vt).

Raj - I don't think you want to use an opamp; it would be overkill, limit bandwidth, use extra power, add noise, etc. Apparently he can get the linearity with resistive degeneration so in the worst case he should be able to do far better with a cascode device.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.