The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 9th, 2024, 3:23pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points? (Read 13094 times)
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points?
Jan 12th, 2012, 10:47am

I'm trying to find an answer on a rather general question that in my case showed up as a consequence of oscillation during start-up in an op-amp connected as a buffer:

- The input of my buffer goes connected to a voltage reference that overshoots while I'm ramping the power supply (say 5us ramp from 0-5v). A few us after the power supply voltage reaches 5v,  the reference also settles
- The buffer shows an oscillation somewhere during the power supply ramp, such oscillation is sustained even when the input overshoot is gone and the average output value is equal to the input reference voltage.

I obviously checked the stability conditions around the operating point and the loop is by far stable. I also tried checking different op-points through which the buffer goes during power supply ramp but all of them are showing the loop is stable. It is clear I'm not finding the sweet spot at which the loop is not stable, but then the question arose:

Can a negative feedback loop that goes from a non-stable operating point - at which it oscillates - to a stable one and keep the oscillatory condition? The answer seems to be yes but it is not clear to me how that can happen.

I'm looking forward to see what you opinion is on this.
Thanks

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points?
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2012, 11:28am

Hi Tosei,

I am very interested (and engaged) in all problems related to harmonic oscillations (for example, I am looking for a sufficient oscillation condition, which does not exist yet).
Therefore my question:
1.) Did you derive your observations from simulation or measurement?
2.) It would be best to show us the circuit; is it a simple opamp in unity gain configuration?
3.) Which opamp type?

buddypoor

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points?
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2012, 11:37am

hello chooper,
yes, any -ve feedback will get you the stable operating point after some disturbance. did you check the with proper loadings about stability? Because some times breaking at wrong place or considering wrong loading gives you wired results..so please post schematic and oscillation waveforms...

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2012, 11:44am

The first thing is to have a look at oscillation waveforms. Most often, current sources starts to oscillate since they have multiple fb loops. What kind of oscillation do u have? If this is low frequency and high amplitude oscillations, it will be definitely biasing circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2012, 1:21pm

buddypoor wrote on Jan 12th, 2012, 11:28am:
Hi Tosei,

I am very interested (and engaged) in all problems related to harmonic oscillations (for example, I am looking for a sufficient oscillation condition, which does not exist yet).
Therefore my question:
1.) Did you derive your observations from simulation or measurement?
2.) It would be best to show us the circuit; is it a simple opamp in unity gain configuration?
3.) Which opamp type?

buddypoor

Hi Buddypoor,

thanks for answering...I knew you were going to be interested on this one  :). My answers

1) These are only simulation based results.
2) The schematic is no handy now (I could post it later) but yes, it is a simple unity gain configuration
3) The topology is a folded cascode, PMOS input diff pair one stage amp with a follower on the output to provide current capability

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2012, 1:23pm

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 12th, 2012, 11:37am:
hello chooper,
yes, any -ve feedback will get you the stable operating point after some disturbance. did you check the with proper loadings about stability? Because some times breaking at wrong place or considering wrong loading gives you wired results..so please post schematic and oscillation waveforms...

Thanks,
Raj.

Hi raja,

I assumed the same thing you are stating, but it does not to be the case for this one. Loading conditions are the ones the amplifier is to be used. And finally I do not break the loop but run stability analysis, which does not affect loading conditions.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2012, 1:26pm

Vladislav D wrote on Jan 12th, 2012, 11:44am:
The first thing is to have a look at oscillation waveforms. Most often, current sources starts to oscillate since they have multiple fb loops. What kind of oscillation do u have? If this is low frequency and high amplitude oscillations, it will be definitely biasing circuit.

Hi Vladislav,

That's a good tip and I need to check them. The oscillation is around few MHz and about hundred mv or so. So I guess there is a chance that might be the case.
Anyway, I think I would need the biasing currents oscillating all the time to keep the oscillation on the buffer amplifier, otherwise I do not see how that could happen (to sustain oscillation around a stable point), which in the end is what I originally asked.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2012, 1:28pm

hello,
@Vladislav: ya..i know about bias oscillations, but how can you say that it is low frequency and high amplitude?

@ chopper: As Vladislav pointed out may be this is the issue and in folded cascode this is more prone problem called  parasitic feedback which mainly comes by sharing  pmos tail current bias and pmos current source in the load. If you do this, just for sanity check use separate bias for all transistors and check.

Thanks,
raj.

raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2012, 1:31pm

hello chopper,

i forgot to say some my old exp
what do you mean by followers? is it source follower, then i am sure that is causing in presence of the load capacitance. Because i fed-up by this problems once. By connecting follower o/p to the op amp input follower see's big capacitive load.

Thanks,
Raj.  

Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2012, 2:13pm

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 12th, 2012, 1:28pm:
hello,
@Vladislav: ya..i know about bias oscillations, but how can you say that it is low frequency and high amplitude?
Thanks,
raj.

When u design a current source u don't waste current on it and bias transistor with small currents. Moreover, large transistors are often used there. This implies that BW of feedback loops is low and, in case of stability issue, oscillation frequency is low since poles located at low frequency.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2012, 4:32am

hi raja,

Thanks for the inputs. I was not aware of the parasitic feedback issue you pointed out. And yes, I was referring to a source follower, but again, the stability analysis around the operating point was indicating the loop was stable even with the source follower in place. I'll check the parasitic feedback and the bias current oscillations.  It should be related to one of these.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2012, 4:48am

hello tosie,
yes you are correct, source follower stability problem will be detected by STB analysis. Regarding parasitic feedback please find the schematic where i faced this parasitic feedback

Thanks,
Raj.

delete_006.png
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2012, 5:12am

Hi Tosei,

did I understand well that oscillations could be observed only during ramping the supply voltage?
In this case, I wouldn't rely to much on circuit simulation because many models behave unrealistic for supply voltages that not in the "correct" range (as supposed by the model maker) - in particular when they are not constant.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2012, 5:30am

hello buddypoor,
I have a Question, many times supply ramp means sweeping the supply from 0 to Vdd (many times vdd is the max), so if this is the case then there is no problem.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2012, 5:38am

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 13th, 2012, 5:30am:
hello buddypoor,
I have a Question, many times supply ramp means sweeping the supply from 0 to Vdd (many times vdd is the max), so if this is the case then there is no problem.

Hi Raj,
what is your question? (My remark was for simulation only!).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.