The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 9th, 2024, 1:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
transconductance of OTA? (Read 2686 times)
Ziad

transconductance of OTA?
Jan 16th, 2012, 7:31am

Hello guys
i am new member here and i am very new in OrCAD PSPICE
i have designed an OTA but i do not know how to simulate the most important character of it, gm.

i have read what you wrote about this but i did not understand  :'(

could you help me fast please  ::)

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: transconductance of OTA?
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2012, 10:38am

Connect OTA output to an voltage source whose value equal to OTA o/p common mode. And through Ac simulation find the current through voltage source. That's all.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Ziad

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2012, 1:14am

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 16th, 2012, 10:38am:
Connect OTA output to an voltage source whose value equal to OTA o/p common mode. And through Ac simulation find the current through voltage source. That's all.

Thanks,
Raj.

Thank you Raj. but i told you i am very newby in modeling  :-[ so could you please tell me:

what is o/p common mode? i want to simulate OTA with differential input..
should my input be DC or AC

View Profile   IP Logged
A Kumar R
Community Member

India
Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2012, 2:14am

hi,

As Raja answered, connect OTA in unity-gain mode. once you have done that you will be able to measure all the parameters that you want.

common-mode is the range of voltages that we need to have (either at input or output) such that the performance of the OTA will not deviate form the assumptions that we make during the analysis (such as "all devices are in sat." for example). common-mode will be the important specification if the circuit is driven by or driving any stage.

by the way..all the material that is needed to design an OTA or to understand how to simulate analog circuits (atleast to the basic level) is given in various text books. As it seems you are new to the design domain, my suggestion is that you first read any good book and try to get some understanding. (read the book by razavi,  if you like)

Thannks
Anil

View Profile   IP Logged
Ziad

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2012, 2:37am

Well i am not that beginner  :) i have designed that OTA and all MOSFETs are in saturation but i just want to know how to get Iout vs Vin curve... i mean is there a direct way or i have to do some (trick) as i read in some earlier posts? i read but i did not understand how to do it  :'(
any way if you know an applicable circuit give me please

thanks a lot

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.