The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 9th, 2024, 7:13pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points? (Read 13120 times)
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points?
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2012, 7:13am

buddypoor wrote on Jan 13th, 2012, 5:12am:
Hi Tosei,

did I understand well that oscillations could be observed only during ramping the supply voltage?
In this case, I wouldn't rely to much on circuit simulation because many models behave unrealistic for supply voltages that not in the "correct" range (as supposed by the model maker) - in particular when they are not constant.

hi buddypoor,

Yes, you got it right: oscillations could be observed during ramping of supply voltage and were slowing damped till they fade away (as if the circuit was barely stable).
I agree also the models behave unrealistically under those type of transients, but I want to make sure it will not create any oscillation in real silicon.
Anyways, it seems from latest sims that the bias currents are the one to blame in my set up, which aligns with Vladislav suggestions.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: Oscillation condition on neg fbk loop: can it be sustained at stable op-points?
Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2012, 7:14am

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 13th, 2012, 4:48am:
hello tosie,
yes you are correct, source follower stability problem will be detected by STB analysis. Regarding parasitic feedback please find the schematic where i faced this parasitic feedback

Thanks,
Raj.

Raj,

That is pretty much the same topology I have with the addition of the source follower I mentioned before.

Thanks
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2012, 11:23am

hello tosie,
if you are using same architecture then better use different bias for tail node as well as pmos load, if you get rid of oscillations then you are done. I doubt weather .stb will catch this or not.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
despap

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2012, 12:49am

Problem statement i understood:

- Circuit is excited with supply ramp 0 -> VCC
- Circuit starts to show oscillations at the ouptut
- Oscillations starts to damp once supply stabilizes
- System dosent continue to oscillate for-ever

Couple of doubts here:
- When you did STB analysis, is it at stable supply?
- Are Load conditions are same for:
  1. STB analysis
  2. Supply ramp sim where osc are observed

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #19 - Jan 14th, 2012, 2:38am

despap,
What is the meaning of "When you did STB analysis, is it at stable supply", because STB is for given operating point.

Thanks,
Raj.

Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2012, 3:30am

raja.cedt wrote on Jan 14th, 2012, 2:38am:
despap,
What is the meaning of "When you did STB analysis, is it at stable supply", because STB is for given operating point.

Thanks,
Raj.

And also for a one feedback loop, whereas in a circuit u have tens of loops

View Profile   IP Logged
despap

Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2012, 6:50am

@Raj
Yes..STB is at a operating point.

For this case i assume give operating point is at operating VCC. ( Vcc lets say 5V)

Where as oscillations are observed during supply ramp ( that is VCC < 5V), for which stability cant be commented unless its qualified for those supply values also, which exactly is the case for supply ramp.

Since STB can-not be performed ( rather not practical)  for VCC ranging from 0 to 5V ( 5V here is representative), generally supply ramp transient verification is done to qualify the stability.

Correct me anything wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2012, 7:16am

hello despap,
yes you are correct, stb can be done only for a single operating point. But what i mean to say for example if a circuit is stable at 5V means if any disturbance occur to the ckt (may be slight change in the supply from 5V, or could be some common mode disturbance due to couple ) it has to restore it's previous state. So what i feel is if tosie verifies ckt stability at 5V it's okay to carry on.

But one thing i want to tell you is normally supply ramp will be done in transient to check  is there any start-up issue (of course it make sense in +ve feedback ckts)  

Thanks,
Raj.

despap

Reply #23 - Jan 14th, 2012, 7:23am

@Raj
It will eventually stabilize with supply ramp. Oscillations will die down.

but with finite parasitics on VCC/GND paths..its always recommended to minimize oscillations during supply ramp.

Start-up is one check during supply ramp sims. But its not all. Ringing behavior should be looked for during supply ramp which actually gives how sturdy is a circuit.

with the presence of other circuits in the system, its potentially dangerous to have oscillations during supply ramp,which might actually end-up sustaining.

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #24 - Jan 14th, 2012, 8:14am

hello,
yes, you are talking for supply inductance and all, which will be present any how and they don't die may be because of continues switching or some thing else.  Any how good discussion.

Thanks,
Raj.

Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Reply #25 - Jan 16th, 2012, 7:26pm

Where does the bias current for the amp and the follower come from?

You may need to delay or ramp the reference voltage until the bias currents are stable.

Are you sure the current densities are rationed properly in the folded cascode ota?  You could look for systematic offset as a clue.

The simulator is telling you something. Proceed with caution.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #26 - Jan 19th, 2012, 5:17am

Dan Clement wrote on Jan 16th, 2012, 7:26pm:
Where does the bias current for the amp and the follower come from?

You may need to delay or ramp the reference voltage until the bias currents are stable.

Are you sure the current densities are rationed properly in the folded cascode ota?  You could look for systematic offset as a clue.

The simulator is telling you something. Proceed with caution.

Dan,

I checked the bias are properly rationed in the FC ota. I found the bias currents are the ones oscillating during VCC ramp. Actually, these currents are generated by the same voltage reference the ota is buffering: this means the ota buffers a voltage reference which seems to be affected by the loading effect the ota creates on it . This loading effect is two-fold: capacitive loading from ota input and resistive loading since bias currents are generated from voltage reference.

Bottom line: the ota is not the one oscillating, but the voltage reference it is buffering (and loading). This oscillation shows up while VCC is ramping up, and finally vanishes after a very long time, indicating an extremely low dumping factor.

Best
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.